Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Drawstring Backpack

Got a drawstring backpack at the Twins game tonight. First one I attended this season. Twins lost to the Boston Red Sox 7-6, left the bases loaded 3 times, including in the final inning. It was tough to see one Twins player, Parmelee, after he was beaned. Helmet was off and wasn't getting up at the plate. He was taken out of the game. This keeps the memory of my favorite movie alive, 'Good Will Hunting', by seeing at least one Red Sox game a year. I have done this since 1999, a year after seeing the movie, and a year after making the move to suburban Chicago, in part inspired by the movie.  
   Also notable was at work. There was a treat cart in the afternoon, I got a fudge bar. Odd how one of the people manning the cart saying he wanted to charge me double since he saw a sticker for a baseball team that happens to be his favorite team's rival. It seems silly to get bogged down in sports rivalries, and no I didn't have to pay extra. I would have flat-out refused, I don't care if it would be going to charity. I will like whatever team I want.
   In the afternoon I went into the breakroom to partake of the leftovers from a seminar, love the cheese they had available. I saw on the TV how the president was giving a speech at the college I attended, the University of Iowa. He is on his 'college aid tour'. I had to research what venue it was, surprised to hear it was the Fieldhouse, the former basketball venue. It's small, and the current venue seats more than twice as many, Carver Hawkeye Arena. When I saw President Clinton speak at the university, it was at Carver. Clinton also spoke about college aid, which I liked hearing as I needed it to pay for college. I am proud of how it took me just 5 years to pay off the loans. But I don't know if I could afford to attend college now, as the tuition has at least doubled since then. I know there are many who are graduating with mountains of debt, and are apparently filing for bankruptcy because of it. I understand the president also spoke previously at the U. of North Carolina in Chapel Hill.

No comments:

Post a Comment