Thursday, April 19, 2012

Lunchtime Sirens

I was in the breakroom and nearly finished with lunch when the storm warning sirens blared earlier today. I had to move to an interior hallway. The ordeal ended before my lunchtime did, so I still went for a short walk. I didn't like having to rush things along a little, but I was out before anyone ordered me to leave. I figured I had a minute or two to gather up my things and wash out my plastic soup bowl, and I did. I got out just before somebody arrived. This is typical, depending on when I take my lunch. Many times, there is nobody else in the breakroom when I am.
    Went to the 400 bar in Minneapolis tonight as I had some stagetime, it was a few more minutes than the previous night so a few more new jokes were told. I was the second one on after the MC. One comic, the one before me, said he was inspired to write songs because of me, which sounded a little odd. I did tell him how somebody did that when I was in high school, to the tune of 'Sweet Child of Mine' by Guns-n-Roses. Tried some Guinness beer, didn't like it as much as I had hoped, seemed a little bitter. After the show I did pick up two more Godfather's pizzas at Bobby and Steve's before I hit the road. Notable was the road closures near the U of M parking ramp, so I had to take the long way around back to the main road before I picked up any pizza. But nothing worth having is ever easy.
   Since I finished with work a little early today I did take some time to go through files I hadn't seen in a while. I've printed many things from online, like changing my 401-K contributions, which I last did just over two years ago. Also saw the evolution of my United Way contributions by payroll deduction, this year is the first time in a while that I am not contributing any amount. But it is my choice, and I didn't like how I was treated one year after helping out with the campaign, somebody who didn't even apologize for being rude. After that I was reducing it each year, by about half, until it became nothing this year. In many ways it was more than what I gave to other charities anyway, but harder to notice since it was off the top before I am paid.  

No comments:

Post a Comment