Friday, April 27, 2012

Move Over, Blockbuster Card

I needed space in my wallet, so I took out my Blockbuster Video membership card. Hadn't used it in over a year, since they kept closing locations near me. It was replaced by my Erbert and Gerbert loyalty card. It's a nice regional sandwich shop, fun stories about how sandwiches got their name. I like the Boney Billy, a turkey sandwich. And this is what I had at lunch today. Truly the end of an era, as I got the card back in 1998. It was my first year in suburban Chicago, and the reminder of it is seeing the phone number with the 630 area code on it, Dupage County. I know at times the video store chain was parodied on animated shows, like calling it 'Lackluster Video'. Sadly, they are now lackluster.
   At work I saw an empty cube once occupied by a Japanophile colleague, he spelled out 'bye-bye' in push pins. Reminded me of once getting pictures of office art, binder clips lined up all in rows.
   Just saw an online video from 'Good Morning America' on ABC. It was about the reunion of the castmembers of the TV show 'One Day At a Time'. It was a show I recalled a little as a kid, I think I saw it more in syndicated reruns. It had a catchy theme song, 'this is it, this is life the one you get so go and have a ball'. I liked how it had a Midwestern setting, in Indianapolis, since I am a Midwesterner. It was one of many popular shows produced by Norman Lear, and I liked many of his others like 'The Jeffersons' and 'All In the Family'. He liked tackling taboo issues nobody else dared touch. It was nice how one of the journalists on this story gave credit to Lear, as it was truly deserved. I had seen an article in the USA Today paper about his shows being released to DVD, and it did go through his bio of being a true TV pioneer, having many successful shows. I think there were some other reunions, as part of an awards show on cable, as many old shows are shown on Nick at Nite. This included 'Laverne and Shirley', 'In Living Color', and 'Murphy Brown'. 'Shirley' was another one I had watched fairly often.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment