Tuesday, April 10, 2012

Bronx Jack-in-the-box

I spoke with the facility manager this morning after noticing he was wearing a Yankees shirt the previous day for the office's Opening Day baseball celebration. Today he had a Yankee lanyard on, sometimes it is a 'Batman' lanyard. He is an ex-New Yorker, for football he likes the Jets. I said I had received a Yankees jack in the box with an Ebay order, had no use for it. Unexpected to receive a throw-in item. So I said I would send it his way along with a ball with a Yankees logo on it. I made sure to get a picture of both to remind me, and to prove there was such a thing. As I recall, the ball was one of two I bought at the silent auction as part of the fundraiser for Emerson Hough School nearly two years ago. Of course this is relevant as it inspired me to start writing this blog. I like knowing I am finding a good home for it. We hadn't spoken much recently, probably not at length since the railroad tour in December. It was nice we could talk about baseball, I guess sports is often known as a 'universal language'. The jack in the box plays 'Take Me Out to the Ballgame' when turning the knob. He shared a story of giving somebody a TV he had no use for as he had too many, and the man was 'down on his luck' and living in an apartment with a 9-inch screen TV. Didn't know they made them that small.
   At the comedy club tonight, I liked hearing the show closer do a 'cradle robber, grave robber' joke. He also did one about time travel, and the add-on to it from compared to hearing it before made it even funnier.

No comments:

Post a Comment