Sunday, April 8, 2012

Breakfast Food at Dinner

It was nice to stay in and do very little today, but since it was Easter Sunday my date and I knew there were many places closed due to the holiday. So after going to church, where an Easter egg hunt was to be held inside after the service was done, we watched another segment of the baseball documentary. This one was the 'tenth inning', covering the 1990s. So there was plenty about the Yankees, as well as Barry Bonds, and the Home Run Derby of 1998 between Mark McGwire and Sammy Sosa. I was tired and kept experiencing 'micro sleep' during the Yankees segment. Also liked seeing them cover the recruiting of players from the Dominican Republic, a big part of the sport and has been for a while. I did share a story of the 1998 season, seeing a Cardinal game in Milwaukee as I had moved to suburban Chicago from central Iowa that year. It was in September, and 'Big Mac' had passed 62 home runs by then. It was a sellout crowd, one Brewer fan held up a sign that said 'walk him'. I got lost trying to find my way back to my car, and a sheriff deputy helped me find it. I just recall passing by some portable toilets, as those were for the construction workers for the stadium that became Miller Park. It opened in 2001, a year late as there was a construction accident which killed 3 workers and led to a game being postponed. In my pictures, as I recall one can see the construction just beyond the outfield wall.
   Usually I say I don't want breakfast food at dinner, but this time I was fine with it as there were few other options when we didn't want to go out to eat. So I had bacon, 3 eggs, and toast. Maybe it was appropriate to have eggs when it was Easter.
   I liked the history covered in the 'Simpsons' episode tonight, about Moe's bar rag. Much of the storyline was about it being devalued as it kept being tossed aside over the centuries. But of course since I majored in history so I like it when movies or TV shows cover history. This includes both 'Night At the Museum' movies, though the second was inaccurate about what paintings are there. 'American Gothic' by Grant Wood is not at the Smithsonian, but in Chicago.

No comments:

Post a Comment