Saturday, April 14, 2012

Lana Del Rey Song

I knew the Sierra Club board of directors vote was happening soon, in four days. So this morning I decided to look at the candidate statements and vote online. One can vote for up to five candidates, as five will get elected out of nine. I underline what I agree with in the statements, and I am not impressed by them having statements from others. I think one should be able to speak for themselves as to what they are for and what they have done and plan on doing. I prefer to represent myself, as I know myself best. So it was a case of having to eliminate candidates, and eventually I arrived at the five and made it official by registering my vote. But this was done after printing a few pages I needed for reference purproses. The printouts were on unrelated issues, such as the cost of baseball tickets for a group outing later this month and then the cost of attending my class reunion this summer. I like getting things done and crossing things off of my list. My memory may be good, but it's even better when I write things down. I know how I tend to get more done when it's right in front of me. With one of these things, the reunion, I had meant to print it much earlier but got too busy.
   I heard a song on my car radio while errand running that was memorable due to the piano playing in the background, it was 'Video Games' by Lana Del Rey. Liked finding it on Youtube, after a search of the lyrics- 'heaven is a place on earth with you' yielded the title and performer.
    I saw the movie 'Bully' this evening with my date  in St. Louis Park. First time at this theater, unusual to see a theater employee when we arrived doing the announcements like 'turn off cell phones and pagers' as I am used to seeing this on the movie screen.
    I was mostly stone-faced while watching it, as expected very little if anything depicted was funny to me. I say this because I was bullied in school, and at church. It did become somewhat relatable to me, when seeing one of the kids profiled was from my native state of Iowa, he was from Sioux City. In addition, he was wearing a Pittsburgh Steelers sweatshirt and I thought of how I have had a Steeler trash can since age ten but I have since picked another favorite NFL team as Midwestern teams will be shown more often in my area due to regional coverage. There was also one kid saying he found the courage to punch a bully and he was left alone after that. I knew doing this helped me as well, I often reference the movie 'Back to the Future' when George McFly slugs Biff Tannen.
   I will admit how some of the profiles were of extreme cases, like kids who committed suicide due to being bullied, but one must show these stories to get the public's attention. Same was true for the girl who ended up in reform school for taking a gun onto a school bus, though the charges were later dismissed. Even though it was tough to watch in some places, I am thankful I saw it. I didn't like how some of the school officials in the documentary came across as cold an uncaring about it. What wouldn't surprise me is if some things change because of the movie, including a school official being fired due to a poor public image.  

No comments:

Post a Comment