Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Astrodome Video on Yahoo

I did the comedy contest at Acme tonight, didn't win but still may advance as it just started this week and runs through the summer. Fourth time I've done it but I've learned plenty and improved along the way. Two women after the show said I was funny, liked hearing that. I changed it up a little from Monday after getting some pointers, and it worked just fine. It looked like few showed up after seeing the Facebook invite, but I still saw some familiar faces there. This included the MC, and others were there to support contestants, same as my date.
  Before I left for the contest, it caught my eye when seeing a 'Must see Yahoo video'. It was about the Houston Astrodome, as the board that governs it will mull over its fate soon. I hope it's kept, and renovated. It's a historic venue that didn't have to fall into disrepair. I recall once seeing a small postcard album that called it the '8th Wonder of the World'. I think it belonged to a relative, don't think I still have it. I did get to see the outside of it when I went to Houston in 2004, as I wanted to get a picture of it. I was in town for a baseball game, I was part of a DiGiorno pizza ad as I was given a cheese pizza to eat between innings on the big video board at the stadium. Also got a picture of a statue titled 'Cookie', referring to the cook in a cowboy camp. By then of course both baseball's Astros and football's Oilers had left the Dome. The Astros moved across town, the Oilers moved to Tennessee and became the Titans. When the NFL returned, the team known as the Texans decided to play across the street. I noticed it had been renamed the 'Reliant Astrodome', taking the name of a corporate sponsor, a local utility. It had been in many movies, I recall one of them being from the 'Bad News Bears' series. It was called 'Breaking Training'.  Naturally, I saw it before it achieved some more media attention, as a shelter for those evacuated from New Orleans after the hurricane and flood of 2005.

No comments:

Post a Comment