Monday, May 7, 2012

Speedy McGreedy

I made it to the Hardee's in St. Paul near Interstate 94 tonight before I made it over to the comedy club. I passed by it all the time and had meant to stop there much earlier. I had a mushroom and swiss burger. While waiting i looked at the archival photos on the wall, some were of nearby Hamline University, as it is on the road of the same name. Others were of Hardee's themselves, likely other locations.
   I knew what brought me there, it was a recent dream where I had hard luck on finding a bathroom for a while. After not finding one in a hotel, and seeing what looked like amateur performing or an AA meeting with testimonials, I had to keep looking. One of the places I stopped at was a Hardee's, or so I thought. The food was outside like in a salad bar format, and the restaurant looked more like a secondhand store when I went inside. Finally found one, in a private home, and was looking at a picture of somebody's pregnant college friend.
   I know it's easier to find Hardee's in my native state, Iowa. It is likely why I have a cloth bag from when I was a kid, with Speedy McGreedy on it. He must have been their answer to the McDonald's Hamburglar. Newton didn't have one for a while, and once again doesn't have one, so the bag must have been from the Knoxville location. A few times, I've had their food in St. Louis as it's served right at the baseball stadium. One classmate really liked them, and on a church work camp she kept saying 'there's a Hardee's' to the pastor, and at the end of the week she got her wish of eating there. It was annoying how she kept calling him by his first and middle name when she said this, he responded the same way to her with her first and middle name.
    I had to help cover the payoff reports at work today as one colleague was running late and didn't make it in until almost midday. I was fine with a break from doing copies.
    I called back my dad after seeing the message on my cellphone, it was from last night. I decided to respond tonight while at the comedy club, as I prefer to do so within 24 hours so he isn't left wondering at all. He wanted to know when I was traveling again. I spoke of the where, but not specifically on the when, this weekend. I didn't want him wondering why I wouldn't be responding to voicemail in a quick fashion, as I expect to be really busy.
      

No comments:

Post a Comment