Saturday, May 5, 2012

Merle Hay: More Than a Mall

Just watched a Youtube music video, it was 'Bad Reputation' by Freedy Johnston. I was prompted to do so as I had spoken of this song at work this week with a colleague who knows guitars well. He had a shirt on that said 'Life is full of choices'- about guitars. I said there was a 12-string guitar in it, and the liner notes said Butch Vig was a part of the song. Seems to explain why the song did so well, since Butch Vig was a part of plenty of good music like producing for Nirvana and Smashing Pumpkins. He later had his own band, called  Garbage. Near the end of the song there was a 2-minute commercial for Ebay, about Mother's Day. Kind of funny one some level, but unexpected. Usually they are before the song. I still need to listen to other songs with this kind of guitar, for comparison purposes. But on this one, it seemed to have a richer sound than a typical guitar, which I like.
    I went over to McDonald's this morning and had an Egg McMuffin. While walking back, I saw a sports bar with banners up about the Mayweather fight tonight. Reminds me of attending a class reunion 10 years ago when there was the Tyson-Lewis fight on at the event.
    Today I drove to Des Moines, Iowa, to see a minor league baseball game with my dad. I arrived in the mid-afternoon, after making two stops along the way. I like being efficient about it, doing things all at once like fuel for the car and going to the bathroom. So it meant stopping in Clear Lake in northern Iowa. But I felt tired rather quickly after this stop, unsure why. I did have two slice of pizza from Casey's, as I wanted sausage as well as pepperoni. So I stopped again in central Iowa at a rest area between Story City and Ames. I'm thankful I did as I liked seeing the history on display there, about the car companies based in Iowa. It was a repeating pattern of 5 bricks on the outside, one of these was the Maytag Mason. I knew the 'Washing Machine King', as Fred Maytag was known, also made cars for a short time, before World War I. I got a picture of all five.
    When I arrived at the Motel 6, my dad was already there and said he had paid for the room on his card, it was the only way to get in before me as I had reserved the room online.  After I checked in, we went to Merle Hay Mall in hopes of finding some NFL team shorts. Went to 4 different stores and they didn't have them, was advised to go online.
     It wasn't a wasted trip for me. I wanted pictures of veteran memorials for Merle Hay, who was the first Iowa serviceman killed in World War I. There were some markers at the cemetery near the mall. I also knew there was one inside the mall. The big boulder at the cemetery entrance said 'Merle Hay Road', and the mall name is derived from the road. It is a long road that goes all the way out to Camp Dodge, a military facility. I know the road for having plenty of car dealers, it is called the 'auto mile'.
     I had seen the mall's marker when there as a kid to shop for school clothes, and it was next to the Sears store. Besides this, I got one of a kiddie ride, it was the Pink Panther and Inspector Clouseau. Before leaving the mall, I got a strawberry malt from the Maid-Rite in the food court. We went back to the hotel and watched the Kentucky Derby there on TV before heading for the baseball game. There hasn't been a Triple Crown winner since Affirmed in 1978, I hope it's done again. I'll Have Another won the race.
    I wanted to look around a little outside the stadium before the game, I liked seeing the sculptures there like of kids playing baseball. Another routine is to find the brick my dad bought, it is just outside an entrance. The Iowa Cubs played the New Orleans Zephyrs, the 'I-Cubs' lost 7-3. I got a bumper sticker and postcard after the game in their souvenir shop, in addition to a program and scorecard as I like keeping score. Matt Tolbert was playing for the Cubs, I recognized the name as he had played for the Twins. I know sometimes players are signed to a minor-league deal after they've been cut by another team.    

No comments:

Post a Comment