Saturday, May 26, 2012

A Visit to Candyland

A classmate said he was doing a bike tour on the Mississippi River next month. First time I've heard of such an event, in Iowa I mainly know of Ragbrai.
   The plans today called for seeing the pirate exhibit at the Science Museum, but it was a no-go. The line was too long for tickets, it would have left us too little time to enjoy the exhibit. This was likely due to the holiday weekend. But we still have more than 3 months to see it, until Labor Day. I walked around downtown St. Paul with my date instead, since we had already paid for parking. We stopped at Candyland and got a box of popcorn, to be eaten later while watching a movie on video. In the evening we did watch a DVD I had bought from E-bay, 'Covered Wagon', based on an Emerson Hough novel. I hadn't seen a silent movie in a while, but the continuity was just fine. I was able to follow the story fairly well.
    Before leaving the Science Museum, we got an ice cream sandwich from the vending machine at a discount. A dollar was already in it, and it cost two, so I just put in another dollar for it, Neapolitan.
   We did make it over to attend a friend's birthday party. I spoke with the pizza man as I had delivered pizza one summer in college. The pizza was for the kids, who didn't want any of the fried chicken from Rainbow Foods. It did remind me of Kentucky Fried Chicken, having the mashed potatoes and gravy and cole slaw, but I was told KFC doesn't serve it in large aluminum containers. Eventually we had cake and ice cream as well, my date was getting impatient for the cake.
   I woke up late as I was leisurely due to the morning rain, but got some important errand running done like sending a sports column written by NFL player Larry Fitzgerald's dad to the same friend doing the bike tour. He had asked me if I was familiar with his writing, I was not. I had to find out what publication he wrote for, it was a small community paper. I got a free copy at an advance screening of the Mark Wahlberg movie 'Contraband' in January as the paper was sponsoring the screening.

No comments:

Post a Comment