Friday, May 25, 2012

Harvey Pekar

I decided to turn in rain checks tonight from last week's St. Paul Saints game for a game on Sunday. After this was done I looked at the tables outside the stadium. I spun the wheel and got 3-D glasses from the TV station known as 'CW Twin Cities'. Also got a half-off oil change coupon from White Bear Mitsubishi Suzuki. Though I'm not in White Bear Lake much, a long way for an oil change. I made it over in a van from Gabe's Bar, they had more than just charter buses running tonight. I think this was due to the Twins being home as well. I started walking back to my car when it was in the middle of the 2nd inning of the Saints game, no score. I needed the exercise and didn't want to wait for a ride. I checked their website and the Saints went on to win tonight, and it looks like the rain held off. I know the 'theater guy' colleague said he had free tickets tonight, in the Leinenkugel Lodge behind the left field wall.  
    I watched a DVD tonight in full, it was the original Muppet movie. I had bought it recently from Best Buy. It is replacing another Muppet movie, 'Great Muppet Caper', in my collection as that one was on VHS and I am slowly phasing those out by junking them when a replacement is found. I noticed an odd coincidence in the closing credits, how Scott Walker played the 'frog killer'. Same name as the governor of Wisconsin. This is the governor in a recall election next month due to being known as a union buster. I made it a Facebook posting. Also shared a link about student loan relief, from Moveon dot-org. I did this after signing the petition, the 'theater guy' spoke of it. He said tuition has quadrupled since I was in college. I can empathize since I had student loans, thankful it took me just 5 years to pay them off.
    It was the final day for a colleague, who is leaving for a job at another office with the same company, the Eden Prairie facility. There was donuts and cake brought in. The cake was made by somebody who is doing cooking classes at Cordon Bleu.
   I did read in the paper at lunch how the president made a second visit to my hometown of Newton, Iowa, on Thursday. Though he doesn't cover all of the facts. I understand that wind energy is something he believes in. But the facts are that the companies in former Maytag facilities don't employ near as many people, and don't pay near as well either. So when he speaks of 'they now make wind energy here instead of appliances' it's not the whole story.
   I looked up the Wikipedia article on Harvey Pekar, a music and literary critic. One friend I met at the comedy clubs read the blog and said my writings were like Pekar's. But I hadn't looked it up as I got busy after seeing the Facebook posting, and of course it was buried after a while. But thanks to the new format where it shrinks older activity, I was able to find it again without having to scroll down too much. He died in 2010, and he's a Midwesterner, from Cleveland. As a regionalist, I am partial to those who are Midwesterners. I also liked a cross reference to Studs Terkel and his book 'Working'.

No comments:

Post a Comment