Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Competitive Comedy Contest

I felt good about performing in a comedy contest tonight, even though I wasn't one of the top three that advanced I know I did well. It has been no problem finding enough quality material with the amount of time given, tonight it was 5 minutes. I did one about my history of being clumsy and spilling, along with one about eccentric things my dad will say about mosquitoes. He actually will say 'skeeter'. I knew all five of the judges from being at the clubs regularly, and two of them said I did well, and so did the MC. I've been doing comedy for nearly 4 years so I'm aware of what works and what doesn't. The thing I didn't like was waiting to take the stage, since it was random as to the order. But as usual, once I take the stage the nervousness fades quickly. I even had one crowdmember said they liked my performance, didn't know them but I said I was also doing a contest at another club next week. Already made it a Facebook posting in hopes of getting a sizeable cheering section. One classmate saw the posting and asked to see some material, I said there were 3 clips on the Rooftop website.
    Also notable while on Facebook was checking news related to Emerson Hough School. Looks like the fort, or playground, is still in play. The superintendent spoke of blocking it off with a snow fence and possibly demolition and replacement. Hopeful I get to see it one last time before changes are made, as I plan on attending my class reunion.
   As usual, I pay attention to music wherever I go. On my car radio tonight I heard two songs I recall when they were hits: 'Teen Spirit' by Nirvana, and 'Shout' by Tears for Fears.

No comments:

Post a Comment