Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Jolly Joe Rolette

I was watching the late news and there was a feature about the state's early history, how a fur-trader politician named 'Jolly joe' Rolette stole a bill that would have moved the capital from St. Paul to St. peter. The Wikipedia article had quite a bit as well. Sounded a little like what happened in Wisconsin last year: 'If I don't get my way, then I will take my ball and go home'. A coworker was surprised how I didn't know about this, when it was mentioned much earlier like a year back. But I had to remind them how I grew up in another state, Iowa. So it wouldn't have been taught in the schools I attended, I know learning local history is a big part of school. In Iowa, we learned about Kate Shelley, who saved somebody during a big storm in Boone.
   This evening I cleaned out the glovebox in my car, and I hadn't looked at it in a while. I wanted to see I still had the current registration as well as insurance card, most everything else was taken out like last year's registration and plenty of oil change receipts from Jiffy Lube. Also found car repair receipts from Car-X that went back to 2009!
    As usual, there is plenty of people-watching available on the bus. After work it was a man who said he was 42 years old, ain't got no kids and don't want any. All he has is nieces and nephews, all he wants. Based on how his mouth looked when he swallowed and spoke, he also had little or no teeth. He had a bottle of Coca-Cola in one hand. He boarded with a man in a wheelchair. His speech about kids was to a woman who had a small child, and the kid kept looking in my direction and I waved.
    The big news today was of ex-NFL football star Junior Seau's suicide. Tough to hear about, since he was fairly young, in his 40s.

No comments:

Post a Comment