Wednesday, May 30, 2012

First Time Using Valet

I recall seeing an article one time that said 'One man, 3 shows, One night'. It was about actor Michael Gross, who was on the TV show 'Family Ties'. This seemed to describe my day, though better said as 3 events. At midday it was a thank-you luncheon at my employer's facility in Eden Prairie, and on the way in I saw 2 colleagues that are now based there. One of them just transferred this week. She likes to argue, and asked if I missed her. My response was just like the judge to Col. Jessup in 'A Few Good Men'- 'You don't have to answer that'. This was the second such luncheon this month. I would have liked participating more, but the feedback given by others before me was close to my experiences. I did expand on it near the end, however. Then it was back to work. While walking today, I saw 3 girls holding hands and each one had a punk rock hairdo.
   After work, there were 2 more events. One was an alumni event at an Irish bar in Minneapolis. This was where I used valet parking for the first time, at a ramp 2 blocks away. What made it easier to do was knowing it is cheaper after 6pm. At the event there were 3 Iowa Hawkeye athletes, one still plays in the pros for the Vikings. Two of the 3 were football players, the third basketball. The other 2 had retired, though I wasn't too familiar with any of them. We were told that Chad Greenway couldn't make it due to visiting his dad in the hospital, who is at Mayo Clinic. I didn't win any of the door prizes in the raffle, though I have won some before. The valet attendant seemed surprised how I hadn't done valet before, I said I could have used it at my high school prom but turned it down.
   Then I went across town to a comedy show, or more accurately described as a roast of a comedian on his birthday. I had attended his Facebook wedding, and seen him perform many times before. I even went to his roast 2 years ago at the same venue, in the basement of a bar. There was a homemade video in the middle of the show. I did see a few friends there in the crowd. What I also saw was a woman who used pencils to hold her hair in a bun, 4 in all. I don't see this too often.
   I had wondered if I was late, as I needed to drive across town. But I saw many of the attendees crowded around the entrance having a smoke and was told it hadn't started yet. When I was leaving the venue I heard 'As I lay me down to sleep' by Sophie B. Hawkins. The song moved me like few others, I recall it being a hit when I was in college. An odd thing happened while leaving the parking ramp I was in: when inserting the ticket, the machine rejected it as a nickel fell out. So I reached down to pick up the nickel and tried again with the ticket. I got outside pictures of all 3 venues to remember the day by.
   I did make it over to Bobby and Steve's after the show, and got a small Godfather's pizza. Hadn't had one in a while, will want to eat it in the next few days. Also got some Old Dutch 'puffcorn', as they appeared to be all out of popcorn at the bar. I saw an empty machine anyway. I stayed a little longer to hear the ending of 'Last Kiss' by Pearl Jam inside the store. Then when I was driving home on the Crosstown, I liked hearing 'Wake me up when September ends' by Green Day, around the time I was close to the airport. It was memorable as I saw a Southwest plane in its final descent right above me.

No comments:

Post a Comment