Friday, May 18, 2012

Driver 8 by REM

After hearing what sounded like an REM song at an Old Chicago restaurant in uptown Minneapolis tonight, I thought of some of their CDs I own. Then it led me to listen to some of their songs on Youtube. I started with 'Driver 8', one I like as it's about railroads. And the video does depict them, it's the Chessie System and I like their logo as it is a cat. Then it was 'Losing my Religion', 'What's the Frequency Kenneth', 'Everybody Hurts', and 'It's Been a Bad Day'. I do have the 'Monster' CD, which has 'Frequency' on it.
   Plenty of notable events today, even though it was a day off from work. I went to a mentoring event at Centennial Lakes Park in Edina. At first it was hard to find, since all I saw was a shopping area. But the park was there after getting to the main building. I arrived early, then walked around a little. It was a warm and breezy day, did a few events I hadn't done in a while or at all. We started with mini golf, but played just 6 holes before having to move onto the next activity. We did some volunteering on assembly, such as stuffing teddy bears. I finished one, and got a picture of it. The student I was mentoring said the bears looked evil, hard to say. Then on to cutting fringe on fleece blankets. a break for lunch, we had Famous Dave's BBQ. It was nice to eat, but messy. Then on to lawn bowling, and finally a science experiment where we made ice cream in a Ziploc bag. It tasted good. My student was using headphones that said 'Beats by Dr. Dre'. I knew this to be Eminem's mentor.
   After getting caught in traffic due to lane closures in Edina, I went on to the next event, finding a Charlie Brown statue in Forest Lake. It was found, which is now number 130. We wanted to get to another one but rush hour traffic meant we didn't get there by closing time, which was 5pm. After a short break I went out again with my date to a festival at Roosevelt High School in Minneapolis, liked the car show there in the parking lot. I recognized one car as being like my first one, I had a 1976 Ford LTD and it was a 1975 model. It was odd how the events in the gym were winding down early, it was scheduled until 7:30pm. But even before 7pm a cop said it was already 'winding down' as we entered. There wasn't much still active by then, so we didn't buy any food and drink tickets, and left after just a few minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment