Sunday, July 8, 2012

Airport Hilton St. Louis

I just arrived back from St. Louis as of this afternoon. I did more than just look at all of the posters and photos on the walls at the hotel. I enjoyed getting pictures of the TWA posters at the Airport Hilton St. Louis. They were everywhere, but the ones in the restaurant were full-color. The ones in other areas were more likely to be black and white. Many of them near the elevators were of famous people, mostly actors. Near my room were ones of Tony Randall and James Garner. Others I noticed were of Nelson Rockefeller, Bob Hope, Red Skelton, Marilyn Monroe, and Roger Maris. The desk clerk said this was part of the ad campaign as many were afraid to fly. Considering that I didn't know all of the names, and how the photos were black and white, these were likely from the 1950s. I know it is truly a different era than what we live in now.
   There wasn't much I did this morning aside from check out of the hotel after packing up. I made it to the Denny's nearby and had breakfast, liked seeing a cheerful server there much like in my previous visits. Also stopped at a trailer park along the way, as it has plenty of signs up I like reading such as 'live simply so others may simply live' or 'believe in what you do, do what you believe in'. I try to live my life by these sentiments. I would have liked taking a swim in the indoor pool at the hotel, but it was hard to find the time while there over the weekend when I had so many things planned. Hopefully it works out on getting a good deal again to stay at this hotel, as there may be a few things left to be discovered.
   If there was any trouble at all, it was the rental car, and even that was minor. I had a hard time finding the fuel release lever when I went to top off the tank before returning, I had to keep guessing. Then I was told by the Enterprise rep how there would be an incident report filed due to what looked like a common heel mark on the passenger side of the car, a VW Jetta. I rubbed at it with 2 fingertips and noticed it was coming off, so it was decided no report would be filed. I had no idea how it got there, and it wasn't a scratch or dent so it would have seemed unnecessary anyway.
  On the flight home I liked reading from the airline magazine, provided by Delta. There were interviews with actor/comedian Denis Leary, as well as Chris Elliott and his daughter. Others were with actors from famous ad campaigns like Flo from Progressive Insurance, and 'Mayhem' from Allstate Insurance. I tend to like somebody more after seeing them get interviewed,. as there can be so much to be learned from it. Upon arrival back at MSP, I got over to the Godfather's Pizza to get a picture, and this was all. I thought about eating there, but I had eaten some Godfather's just over a week ago. I liked their sign which said 'when you want the best, you want Godfather's.' I did take over a hundred pictures over the weekend, and need some time to get a look at them more closely to see which ones are worthy of being in my Facebook album.
   I saw an online article which spoke of  how actor Ernest Borgnine has died at age 95. I know him well as the sheriff in the movie 'Convoy'. For some reason the song was on my mind quite a bit recently, maybe since it was linked to another song from the same timeframe I had listened to on Youtube, 'Dueling Banjos' from 'Deliverance'. Though I noticed the song in the movie was slightly different than the one my parents had on a single record. Found out on Wikipedia how the song inspired the movie, and the song was changed a little for the movie. The performer was CW McCall, but I knew of no other songs by him.

No comments:

Post a Comment