Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Completion of Suspended Game

A long night at the St. Paul Saints baseball game, as it was actually two games. First there was the completion of a suspended game from the past month, which began in the other city and was called due to the league's midnight curfew. It's not too often that one hears about this, especially when it was in the 7th inning by then, already an official game, and the Saints were leading as well. They went on to win it, but we didn't see any of it as I was en route with my date while it was happening. I got an email from the club about the plans for the night, and how the start time was moved up an hour. But since I was working I said I was keeping the same schedule. I need a good reason to knock off work a little early, and a baseball game usually isn't one of those things. A medical appointment is a more likely reason, and those are relatively rare.
  Naturally when there's the big annual 4th of July fireworks show, there is also the ceremonial events. Different military moms were honored, such as a 'Gold Star Mom' for those who lost a son in combat. I had heard of this kind of day before, such as when my parents got a big flag to display. There was a brochure along with it about the days to display it, and one of them was on Gold Star Moms Day. Don't recall for sure what month, but I think such a designation goes back to World War I, same as the Veterans Day observance.
 The game started late, and it became a high scoring one at 13-6, where the Saints beat the Lincoln (Nebraska) Saltdogs. The Saints trailed for a while but then had a big inning that put them ahead for good. Then finally, the fireworks. But it was well worth the wait for the fireworks, as it was a good show and playing music along with it adds so much to the experience. Much of it was patriotic, but it doesn't have to be. I liked hearing 'These Are Days' by 10,000 Maniacs at one fireworks show.  

No comments:

Post a Comment