Monday, July 9, 2012

Third Time, Midas Touch?

I sent my car to the shop this morning at Midas, this time hopefully it is corrected for a while. I know my car is getting old as I've had it for 9 years now, longer than any other car I have owned. But I also know I'm doing the right things, by doing the oil changes regularly. I didn't do this as much with some of my previous cars, especially when I was in high school and college. Though I am also reminded now of my dad getting disgusted with car repairs, just by the way he would say 'parts shucking out'. Now I am doing this, and didn't think I would. I am not his clone though, as I know I am not as excitable as he is.
  At work, we had the typical I.T. issues which was annoying, but what can you do? As usual, it was a busy Monday, but it was also due to two people being out and having to cover for them. Ugh! I'm bored with having to do the same payoff report because of the high volume. But I was fine with letting some others finish it when asked as they wanted to get it submitted to the boss more quickly. So I was actually doing double duty today, and decided to take a shorter lunch but told no one about it. One of them, the theater guy, will be back soon, and I like working with him. The other is a new person and don't know quite as well. But I like how she does the assignment I just hated doing: making copies of paid accounts before we mail them out. I'm qualified to do more than that.
   I was a little too leisurely on the way to the comedy club tonight, making it just minutes before the sign-up period ended. The most important thing is making it in time, but I don't like cutting things too close and when I park across the street temporaily that is cutting it too close. Since I don't want to pay for parking there and usually just go to a free spot on the street since the parking enforcement is done for the day by then. I liked discussing Woody Allen with one fellow comic tonight, as I referred to a documentary on public TV I watched with my dad about fame. It said Woody typified the spirit of the time (or 'zeitgeist') when his movies did real well in the 1970s: by being nervous- looking. Then the other comic said it explained the success of Phil Donahue's talk show, a thankful reminder of how there were talk shows before Oprah Winfrey. I also said I understood some shows better after seeing Woody's movie 'Annie Hall'- since they copied the subtitles of what they were thinking, which was usually nothing like what they were saying. 'The Jeffersons' did this real well, when Florence the maid had a blind date with Bentley the neighbor, and U.N. translator. Since she didn't know who Truffaut was, a French movie star, and spelled it 'Trufo'.  

No comments:

Post a Comment