Friday, July 13, 2012

'Push' Sign On Stage Door

I like hearing from the theater guy at work. He told me a story about working security at an event one time and had the 'slacker' job of being at the stage door to let people in. And how he got a cheap thrill from putting a 'push' sign on the stage door, which was locked, and then arresting those who tried going through it and weren't authorized. I keep telling him he should write a book about his adventures. Or I can write it and it can be 'as told to'. He also told me how he met a member of the Zac Brown Band entourage, and then became friends after they fought- also when working as a security guard.
   I went to eat later than typical, at 8pm. I don't know if getting soaked after getting off the bus had anything to do with it. But when I got on there was no rain and then it 'cut loose' as my dad would say. It wouldn't surprise me if there was flash flooding in some areas as the rain did fall quickly. Some tried to get all of the windows shut on the bus, but one was stubborn so some people moved away from it. Then a woman tried it and it did shut. I waited at the bus shelter until the light turned green to cross the street, and so did another passenger. My feet were soaked rather quickly from being splashed by cars going by. Most important thing is to get wet clothes off right away, and I did do this. It meant hanging them up in the shower.
   I did like where I chose to eat, the Chicago hot dog place in St. Paul known as Chris and Rob's. As a former resident of the area I like the ambience there. I spoke with one of the employees for a while and he shared a story about living there, something about living in a rough neighborhood- in the city of and of course I was in an O'Hare suburb- as there was a power struggle within the Latin Kings gang after their leader was put in jail. Where I lived for most of my nearly six years there wasn't quite on the map, but the Rosemont Horizon/Allstate Arena is so I liked seeing it as I did attend events there fairly often like Wolves hockey games and some concerts.
   Before I ventured out again I reminded myself to go online to do a transaction. I wanted to dump more miles into my Delta Airlines frequent flyer account from answering online surveys. Had to wait a month, now the month is up, so I can convert survey money into the miles. Keep the balance low on survey money so I don't forget about it. Might be a while before getting another free trip, but I like knowing 500 miles from surveys is available when it's expensive if from a plane ticket. It's the 'house minimum' when flying on short flights. Sometimes I have to wait a little longer until there's enough in the account to dump miles, but usually not too long. I may not qualify for surveys much, but each quarter and dime for surveys I attempt does add up each month.
   I went to a friend's comedy show tonight, he was the feature and another fellow comic was the MC. A little surprised to know both of the openers, but shouldn't be. I think the headliner was a New Yorker, he did well on jokes about relationships. Nobody said anything about my outfit, as I had a t-shirt on but no other one over it like what I wear at the office. This was due to getting soaked.
It was the 'London, England' shirt with the Union Jack in the middle, acquired when I was there last month. First time wearing it since I keep it with the other tourist shirts, not part of the regular rotation. Made sense to get it out and wear it after speaking of the Iceland socks earlier this week, which I did wear on Thursday.
   I was called 'robber baron' by the feature, a new term but I like it. I had a snappy comeback to it, how I read about them in history class. He did do some of my favorite jokes, three in all. The one called 'Lugar' where he does an excellent voice impression of the trainer from the 'Rocky' movies. Along with reading about a 'morning hooker', and real estate brokers. Some crowdmembers at my table were talking a little too much but I also noticed they drank plenty, draining multiple bottles of vodka if I'm not mistaken. They left early, so I didn't have to see them after a while. One girl was almost forcibly marched in by her companion, don't know why for sure though it may have been a joke. Also liked the MC's jokes about his neck tattoo, and getting a GED signed by then-Alaska governor Sarah Palin. Even saw the comedian from this week's CD release party leaving as I was arriving at the club, he said he was on his way to another club.  

No comments:

Post a Comment