Saturday, July 21, 2012

Pirate Exhibit at Science Museum

I was tired of seeing a popped, or deflated, basketball on the roof of my home so I finally decided to get it down. It took more than one attempt since it was hard to reach. I got out a chair and my broom and snow shovel, since it was hard to see I needed the chair. Finally got it down with the shovel, then got a picture of this Spalding basketball before it was thrown in the trash. Since it was wet, must have rained overnight or still light rain this morning, I did think of Leonard Cohen's 'Hallelujah' song. How I could say that word and it was truly how I felt with this accomplishment. Also how it was wet, and the line 'you saw her bathing on the roof' was also relevant. I did see some storm damage, as a big tree branch fell into the street and cars had to change lanes to avoid it. I got a picture of it right away, knowing it may not be long before the police calls a crew to remove it.
   I went to the bank and got my change counted and deposited into my savings account. It can be fun to do this, as a machine does it for me. And I use a Charlie Brown and Snoopy can for transport to the bank, it is smaller. As I recall it was the liquidation sale at Borders Books. It is a can inspired by Lucy doing psychiatric help. No surprise how the coin volume had plenty of pennies, but not quite a dollar's worth. I pick up other people's coins, as pennies are still worth picking up to me. More surprising was how many dimes, $3.50 worth. No surprise on just two quarters, as I use those for laundry and for buying a paper on Fridays. Those quarters are more valuable to me so I save those for later use more often than not. In all it was $5.32, not much but I like seeing it gets in the bank fairly often. It does me no good inside what was a gallon beer can given to me by a college roommate.
   I went to the pirate exhibit at the Science Museum earlier today with my date, we had tried to go before but it was too busy on Memorial Day weekend. I figured we could find another time which would work before it closes on Labor Day, and I was correct. It did remind me of previous exhibits at Minnesota's science museum, how it was found after being lost for a long time. In this case it was more than two centuries. Not much different from the Dead Sea Scrolls, Titanic, or King Tut. I liked how they researched it well to put it into proper perspective on the timeframe it came from. Piracy was a rampant thing then, and steps were eventually taken to combat it. But I could also understand why some became pirates, as the pay in other jobs wasn't all that great, if they were paid at all. The man profiled, who became the captain of the pirate ship, was motivated by a lost love who was told by her family he wasn't marriage material, being a poorly paid sailor. Also liked mention of other pirates, famous ones like Blackbeard. Kind of funny how Blackbeard threatened to burn the city of Boston to the ground, it's still there of course. A few things reminded me of being at the Renaissance Festival, like the torture/execution device used as well as actors to make it look more authentic as a pirate exhibit. I probably learned something while there, such as a 'privateer' being a government-sponsored pirate apparently. I just knew of a college in New Orleans have athletic teams called 'Privateers'. The other was 'sloop' being a type of boat, a small but fast one. I had heard of a song on the 'Forrest Gump' movie soundtrack being called 'Sloop John B'. I got a few small souvenirs, 2 postcards and a sticker. The sticker had a 'Jolly Roger' on it.

No comments:

Post a Comment