Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Iceland Socks

I went to another CD release party for a comedian friend tonight. Good show, plenty of comics before the headliner since it's open-mic night. Much like before, I bought the CD. And I got a shout-out, which happens often and I enjoy each time. I was asked what I liked about the previous one, couldn't lie about how I hadn't listened to it yet. Hated coming up with excuses for it, as I was reminded of what my football coach in high school said about it. We had to complete the phrase 'excuses- are for losers'. So I already sent a message on Facebook saying I would get both CDs listened to before I go to another friend's show soon. I said it was a deadline that got me into comedy, so I figured it would work once again on motivating me. I have listened to the first one now, didn't take long as it was just 40 minutes. Many of the bits I had heard before, but they were good ones. It in many ways was a more extended set, so I liked this greatly. He is an Iowa native like me, so I liked his joke about the annoying acronyms for the state name. Some of them I hadn't heard of before, but others sounded familiar. I definitely liked the one about being a 'big kid' and liking the log ride at a theme park, coaxing kids onto the ride while a school chaperone. Since it ended with 'who wants Dippin Dots?'
   When I think of how sometimes I buy things and don't use them right away, I have to think of some of my souvenirs from the recent visit to Great Britain for a wedding. We stopped in Iceland on layover and I got some socks. But after tonight, I reminded myself how those Iceland socks were still in the main souvenir bag and of course not yet used. I made sure to go put them in the rotation, and now they will be used! It is why I tend to buy things, especially apparel. They are really nice-looking socks, mostly blue with some red. Both socks say 'Iceland' twice, and there is a puffin bird on it which I think looks like a little penguin. The comedian doing the release party may like that since he does a penguin joke. There is also a red stripe surrounded by two smaller white stripes, and the puffin is superimposed onto it. I like how these truly are reminders of the national flag, since all three colors are there and the stripes are like the off-center cross on the flag, same style as the other 4 'Nordic' nations of Sweden, Denmark, Norway, and Finland.
    So I am thankful that a comedian friend motivated me. Sometimes we still need motivation, though at times I downplay the importance of it. One would think I wouldn't need it when I've had so many life experiences and 'teachable moments' along the way.

No comments:

Post a Comment