Tuesday, July 24, 2012

George Jefferson

When I arrived at the comedy club tonight, I saw a cherry picker in the parking lot. This was odd to me, thankful I had my camera with me so I got a picture of it. I was impressed how they got it into a parking spot so well. One friend wanted a picture of me in my patriotic shirt which I got at a Cracker Barrel this weekend, he thought I was posing in it as I had my denim jacket draped on one shoulder. Will have to find out if he posts it on Facebook. There were a few comments at work about the shirt, the most memorable one was at the club. The same one who wanted a picture said I looked even more like a 'murderous psychopath' than typical. I didn't know how this was possible, I said, when I'm told I already looked creepy. When I spoke of the Clint Eastwood movie 'Bronco Billy' I spoke of my memory of the circus tent at the end being made of American flags, and playing the John Philip Sousa song 'The Thunderer'. He then spoke of 'jingoism', I knew this was a reference to patriotism and I said 'you made me think'. I wasn't necessarily expecting this at the comedy club, though some jokes do make me think. I liked his new joke about People magazine being lame, whoever named it was lazy he claims.
  I had to read the Top Ten on Yahoo to find out why Sherman Hemsley was listed, found out he had died. I knew him from more than just 'The Jeffersons' but I did like that show quite a bit. I watched it often as syndicated reruns, but I did see some first-run episodes. I liked seeing him match wits with the Helen character. Also liked 'Amen', a show he did later on, where he played Deacon Frye. The role was in many ways very close to George Jefferson in terms of demeanor.
   While riding the bus home from work tonight, I saw a man board with a blindman's cane. He had a Snoopy keychain and a Times Square New Year's Eve shirt from 2002. There were some notable holes in the shirt. He also had an eyepatch over his left eye. Definitely liked the keychain, but didn't speak to him at all. When I write about people I see but don't know I prefer to observe more than interact.   

No comments:

Post a Comment