Saturday, July 28, 2012

Jackson Street Roundhouse

I went to a museum with my date in the afternoon, it was the Jackson Street Roundhouse in St. Paul. It is part of the Minnesota Transportation Museum system. It was nice taking a ride on a caboose, though it seemed to take too long getting it spun around while in the roundhouse. We saw an inquisitive little boy near us during the ride, he said I didn't look happy. I said I had another comedy but, saying I think I normally didn't look too happy. The stopping and waiting contributed to this demeanor. I did like seeing a former Chicago commuter traincar there, as it looked really nice inside with maps on the table tops. It is one of various train cars that can be rented out for private parties, such as birthday parties. When I lived nearby and drove past it often I thought about touring it but didn't for some reason. I liked getting it crossed off my list, finally.
  In addition, there was another place I finally stopped at. It was a park near Phalen Boulevard that celebrated famous people from St. Paul's East Side like hockey coach Herb Brooks. I got plenty of pictures there as well. It had descriptions of how it had been a vibrant community with many manufacturing jobs like at Whirlpool, Hamm's Beer, and 3M. The park apparently is on the site of what was a Hamm's Beer facility. In the evening, we watched 2 episodes of 'History Detectives' which had been recorded earlier in the week. Some were about music, such as a song that had been recorded by the Klan when they had many followers in Indiana in the 1920s. It was a ripoff of the church hymn 'Old Rugged Cross'.
     I looked through a box where I have many of the Emerson Hough items I own, such as seven books and a 'Covered Wagon' movie poster, along with the movie itself on DVD. I found some expired coupons from the Minnesota Twins fanfest. Surprised that I didn't use some of them right away, especially when one of them was a Dairy Queen Blizzard coupon as I like ice cream quite a bit. It expired at the end of March, the festival was in January.  

No comments:

Post a Comment