Thursday, July 19, 2012

Classics Illustrated

An item I ordered from Ebay arrived earlier today, 'Covered Wagon' as a comic book. I read the Wikipedia article saying Classics Illustrated liked doing popular novels as comic books. There was even mention of how these were part of a scene in the movie 'Major League', when Jake Taylor wanted to become familiar with the novel 'Moby Dick' to impress his on-again off-again lady friend. Some of what was in the Emerson Hough bio was laughable, as not all of it was correct. It spoke of him being born in Virginia, when I know full well he was born in my hometown of Newton, Iowa! Same is true when it said 'Wagon' was his last book, when it was just the last one released while he was still alive. Others were released posthumously. There was also a few pages about Great Britain in the Middle Ages, but I haven't read it cover to cover yet.
  I heard from my college roommate tonight, he gave me some advice about a job search. It seemed to fall in line with what has been advised before- work for the feds, since he does. But I've got to be me, and I don't think it's a good fit. I tried applying for government jobs out of college- per his recommendation- and it was hard to get interviews, let alone hired. It helps to have a military background on the civil service tests, as one gets a few extra points in the final score.
   I did say I hated job searches, but I have to tell myself all of what he told me was true. Nobody's going to chase me down with a good job, I have to chase them. This was true of colleges I applied to- some chased me down, but not the school I wanted (and later graduated from)- the University of Iowa. I've had to tell myself I'm not the same person who kept saying 'I'm a failure' when I couldn't get a job right out of college and was unemployed for three and a half months. Or even the one during my first year in Minnesota, when I spoke of 'twin failures in the Twin Cities'- being a misfit at work and nothing but quick failures in my dating life. I'm way more experienced now, and have better interviewing skills. If I can go onstage and tell jokes, then my speaking skills are really good. I will find a way through it, though it can be frustrating at times and I hate to admit that I still can get frustrated.
   When I was at a convenience store tonight, I heard a song I liked, '1979' by Smashing Pumpkins. I also thought it was funny to hear it there as part of the video takes place at a convenience store. The most memorable scenes were filmed there, like bowling over full bottles.

No comments:

Post a Comment