Friday, November 16, 2012

Dayton's Bluff

Dayton's Bluff, this was a place I visited today as I got a good look at the community center on St. Paul's East Side- in this neighvorhood on 7th Street. I was informed this Dayton, an early settler, was no relation to the governor. I liked seeing some postcards there so I bought 3. One was of the 3M complex, which is now gone. Another was what remained of the Hamm Mansion after it was destroyed by fire, just a post from a gate apparently. The third was of Johnson Parkway, a major road through the area. There is also a Johnson High School, their athletic teams are called the Governors as the school is named for a governor who died in office. My guess is this road is also named after the governor. I paid $5 for them and no change was available, but I said consider it to be a donation since we just had 'Give to the Max' this week.
     This was a day off from work from me, which explains why I had the time to see this community center. I also made it to Dayton and Champlin. Made sense to combine those two when both are close to each other. On the radio this morning there was mention of Hostess Brands, which makes such notable food items as Twinkies and Wonder Bread, plans to go out of business due to a strike by the bakers union. The company was already in Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection, had filed in January. The company had previously filed in 2004 and exited that filing in 2009. There has already been reports on the news of a run on certain items, especially Twinkies. One woman was shown leaving a bakery outlet and had the cart full of boxes of Twinkies. I decided to go to a grocery store this evening to see what they had. The store already had a sign up in the snack cake and bread aisle saying the Wonder and Hostess brands would no longer be available, and asking customers to buy the store's brand. I bought a bag of Donettes, little else was left- at least with the snack cakes. i think there still was plenty of Wonder Bread. I also got a can of Spam to donate to a food drive conducted at the Aeros hockey game at the X this weekend. I said it was very Minnesota of me to donate this product.  

No comments:

Post a Comment