Monday, November 19, 2012

Wonder Bread Search

I finally decided to get a loyalty card from Walgreen earlier today, when I was on lunch and getting some soap and toilet paper. But the three items, including some Hostess mini-donuts, did not yield any points apparently. Hopefully I will find items that do. This is my 8th loyalty card, if you count Enterprise Rentacar which still hasn't arrived yet. At the Hostess display I noticed there wasn't much left, mostly some fruitcakes and those don't interest me.
   I did see in the news how the hearing for Hostess at bankruptcy court did happen, with the judge urging mediation between managment and labor unions instead of liquidation. What I do know is that the articles I read about the liquidation of the Montgomery Ward department stores in 2000-2001 were helpful. The one from the Wall Street Journal- when speaking of Wards- said it is likely to stir nostalgia with customers, but it won't break a competitor's heart. I am noticing how many other companies make snack cakes and bread, and actually I hadn't bought much of either in recent years. If I had, it was the Little Debbie oatmeal creme pies or the brownies. One feature claims that Little Debbie will be stepping up production. Looks like they want to fill the void in some form.
   At the comedy club tonight, I expected there would be some Twinkie jokes, and there was but just one. It was about how much they are now going for on Craigslist, I had heard more about them being listed on E-bay. The comic was referring to how the company had filed for bankruptcy before, and not even that could stop the Twinkies since they're really popular. Also at the club was some loud patrons behind me that kept wanting to know when a server would be around as they wanted to order drinks. They were warned twice by an employee how there was no talking. They even asked a performer, right before he was to go onstage, if he was a server. This was despite his outfit, which didn't look like a server's as he was wearing a zip-up hoodie. He called them 'hipsters' when he took the stage. They liked having a shout-out, even if it wasn't flattering.
   After the show I went to a Cub Foods to see what they had for Wonder Bread and Hostess items. There was no snack cakes to speak of, the display box had competitor products in it. Still some Wonder Bread left, so I got a package of hamburger buns. I have been eating the hot dog buns at a steady rate of two a day to use them up before they expire. Also found some sandwich bags hanging next to the bread display. At the Bobby and Steve's in Minneapolis I found some sweet rolls and coffee cakes, at the 'beehive' gas station some donut sticks, and the Superamerica I had been to just two days earlier two honey buns. They didn't have much else left and the clerk was surprised that there was anything left at all. A convenience store in downtown St. Paul had some single cupcakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment