Thursday, July 25, 2013

Corn Palace- Mitchell, South Dakota

  I started the drive fairly early this morning for South Dakota with my companion. Stopping at the Corn Palace in Mitchell was nice. I liked finding the picture on the wall from what it looked like in 1987, my previous visit to the state. The smashed penny machine there was cranked by what looked like the helm from a ship. It is the first day and I already have more postcards than what survived from the earlier visit (five) as I have nine. This included a stop at a Sinclair station before heading over to the Corn Palace. This place had a logo that reminded me of the stars from the Los Angeles 1984 Olympic logo, but different colors.
    I liked seeing the familiar wherever I went. In the case of the Corn Palace I liked seeing the inside where there was a mural of Mount Rushmore. This was mainly what I remembered from this place during the earlier visit. The other thing was how my family stopped there for the night as we just wanted to go halfway to Mount Rushmore on the first night.
   This stop was the first of two smashed pennies for the day. I also got one at Wall Drug, but when we got there we didn't have much time to look around since they were closing within the hour. We got a lay of the land and then went to eat across the street. Now we are in Rapid City for the night. It was nice to stop at a rest area in Chamberlain to see the Lewis and Clark dedications outside, and the Missouri River bridge off in the distance. It would have been nice to see more but the museum part was already closed for the day.   

No comments:

Post a Comment