Sunday, July 14, 2013

Minneapolis Aquatennial

    I went to Minneapolis Aqua-tennial this afternoon with my date, first time attending this event. I did get a 'Skipper' pin, it was attached to a schedule of events. I had to check after the event to see what I already had from the auction last fall, it was two buttons- from 1959 and 1985. I just recalled the one from the 50s. The older one does say 'Skipper' on it as well, and 'Vacationland USA' on it in the middle. The other has a maple leaf in the middle, and under it 'between friends/entre amis'. But the newest one doesn't have a helm on it like from a boat. I got 10 pictures, starting with an airboat from the fire department. Others were of  sand castles, and boats on Lake Calhoun. We also went to the ice cream social at Nicollet Island Pavilion, for the sister cities of Minneapolis. Pictures from here included one of a bell from a Japanese city outside, and inside was the flags lined up of where the sister cities are, 10 nations in all.
   Before and after this event we looked at a stamp collection sent by an uncle. I was given 3 postcards from it, one from Italy and the other 2 from Egypt. Hard to sum up the collection, aside from saying it is extensive as it seems to include stamps from everywhere. Few of them I had seen before, as I have mostly just seen American stamps before. We found a shoebox full of first day covers, in a Montgomery Ward box.                 

No comments:

Post a Comment