Wednesday, July 31, 2013

The 'Holiday Road' Song

     I saw something on CNN on the way to work this morning about a real-life Griswold family having a wagon queen family truckster much like in the 'Vacation' movies. They were taking it down to Disney World in Florida, from their home in Georgia. It prompted me to look up the song 'Holiday Road', since mention was made of it in the online article I found. The song was performed by a member of Fleetwood Mac. I am somewhat familiar with the band's music, but not with all of its members and their work as soloists. It's a short song of just over two minutes, not many lyrics to it, but still catchy.
    The show runner at the comedy club asked how was my visit to South Dakota. I said we made it to Wall Drug and the Mitchell Corn Palace besides Mount Rushmore. She spoke of some place where there were 'You break, you buy' signs up. I was trying to think of where I had seen it, as I recall it was at the Crazy Horse Memorial. I know we didn't go into all of the shops at Wall Drug. Part of the reason was that some had 'no food or drink' signs up in them. But these were the same shops selling items that didn't appeal to me like apparel besides just T-shirts, or even Western wear.
   Notable about tonight's show was one performer dropping the microphone, possibly on purpose, when doing his joke about being a 'baller'. He was enthusiastic- to say the least- when describing his first car, a 1970 Oldsmobile Cutlass. But he couldn't come close to matching this enthusiasm about any other cars he had owned. As I recall, the Cutlass was one he owned while in school.

No comments:

Post a Comment