Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Social Distortion Concert

   I went to the Social Distortion concert at the Cabooze in Minneapolis tonight. It's nice that the venue is near a light rail stop, easy on and off. At first I was unsure how early to show up, when it said the show begins at 6pm. No need to leave work early, I found out. There were 2 opening acts. In fact I first went to a nearby Taco Bell for the evening meal, yes the box, before I went in. When I went in I found out the first opener was still onstage, but they finished shortly thereafter. My dad would have liked the inside of the Cabooze, since it had a railroad theme. But this can be expected with a name like theirs, which sounds close to caboose. There were plenty of tin signs of railroads there, I recognized ones like the Burlington Northern, Chicago Northwestern, and Rock Island.
   I walked around a lot, it was an outdoor general admission show. I did have to sit every so often as I was getting tired. But it was worth attending, as I heard some songs I knew and liked. This would include 'Story of my life', 'Ball and chain', 'Reach for the sky', and their cover of Johnny Cash's 'Ring of fire'. The Cash cover was the final song of the night. Hard to say how it compared to seeing them in concert before, also in Minneapolis. It was at what is now Epic but was then known as the Quest Club. I did get a souvenir for myself and for a comedian friend who couldn't make it, a picture of the band.
   I spoke with somebody on the light rail after the show. He said he had known their music since 1987, I said I didn't know them for quite as long. He did recommend checking out their earlier CDs, I have the self-titled one from 1990. The one I have I really like. It did have 3 of the 4 songs I recognized from tonight, all but the more recent 'Reach for the sky'. From this CD I also like 'She's a knockout', 'Place in my heart', and 'It could a been me'. It helps that all of these are relatable. This man apparently traveled up from Sioux Falls, SD, to see the show with his wife. He spoke of knowing somebody who saw Brad Paisley in concert 15 years ago when he was an up and comer near Fort Bragg, NC. He got an autographed CD I think.
   It was crowded after the show on the train as the Twins game had just let out. There was a Yankee fan near us who had a gaudy hat that mentioned many of their World Series titles. He kept elbowing me and then I said 'Hi!' and acknowledged being elbowed. He said I was 'observant' and I said it helps to pay attention to your surroundings. He may have had too much to drink, hard to say for sure. It did remind me of the episode of 'Cheers' with the obnoxious Yankee fan that gets his comeuppance at the end of the episode.    

No comments:

Post a Comment