Friday, July 26, 2013

Mount Rushmore At Night

    We started off the day at the Bison Museum in downtown Rapid City. Nearby, we found many of the president statues, and got pictures of them. In the early afternoon it was on to the Crazy Horse Memorial. It looks like very little progress has been made on it since I last saw it in 1987. It was nice to see a group of violin players from Omaha, playing near a gift shop but outside.
   After Crazy Horse, it was on to Mount Rushmore. I got plenty of souvenirs here, as expected. This included a baseball and a shirt, besides postcards of course. It was a big day for postcards, but it helps that they are cheap. One place said four for a dollar, an other said five for a dollar. Just one card was from Crazy Horse. One of those of Mount Rushmore had a Lincoln impersonator on it. And I have counted 13 more for the day, so over 20 for just today. Another one not in this total is a jigsaw puzzle card. Some were of places we didn't travel to, like Grand Teton or Devils Tower, as both are in Wyoming. The one from Dinosaur Park, also a place we didn't go to, has a T-Rex in the foreground that makes me laugh since it appears to be smiling. I do have the joke postcard of Mount Rushmore from the front and the back, and no, it was not bought at the actual memorial site. Some are likely to say it is in bad taste. But plenty of shops sell souvenirs, so choices do exist. We went to Keystone in the evening to eat at Teddy's Deli, where Theodore Roosevelt's picture is part of the restaurant sign.
   After this we made it back to see the evening show at Mount Rushmore. There was the lighting of the mountain, and I did get this part on video camera. It was why I brought the camera out all the way to South Dakota. Then the park ranger introduced all of the current and former military personnel who went to the lower level to help with lowering the flag. I liked the video shown before the lighting of the monument. I am thankful to have found a mailbox inside a dining hall as I was able to mail myself a postcard back home.          

No comments:

Post a Comment