Sunday, December 1, 2013

My Final Metrodome Visit

     It was an eventful day for me, starting with waking up at 10am. I was out the door fairly quickly though, with oatmeal for breakfast and a shower, so I could get to the Metrodome for the Bears-Vikings football game. I took light rail to get there and the bus to get back. I understood this was likely my final visit to the Dome, as there aren't many events left. The Vikings have two more games, and there are plenty of ads on TV lately for a monster truck rally, and I think that is about it. This was probably why I walked around the concourse after the game, also since I wanted the foot traffic to clear and find a bathroom with a short line. The Bears lost 23-20 in overtime, after leading 20-10 at one point. Vikings led 7-6 at halftime. I left my seat at the two minute warning to get food, and I practically needed all of halftime to order it, eat it, and get back to my seat since it was so crowded. I kept seeing people come back to their seats with pizza and I even said to them it looks good so I had pizza. It did answer the question of if they have a two minute warning in overtime: if the game lasts that long, and it did. The winning field goal was just a few plays after it.
      When I got back I watched some of the Broncos-Chiefs game, Broncos won 35-28. I tried to watch 'The Simpsons' but fell asleep. I woke up and 'Bob's Burgers' was on, it was about the parents attending a class reunion and the mom was in a band that performed there. I got up at the end of the show and had a Filet-o-Fish at McDonald's. When I got back I said I needed to do what I set out to do with the four days off: make a list of the rest of the books I own. There was two more bookcases, and I finished it largely since I kept the TV shut off. I pulled up a chair in front of the cases and it took me about two hours, but there were hundreds of books. Not too surprised on what I found, as I know myself pretty well. Plenty of baseball, history, Charlie Brown, and biographies. If I was surprised about anything at all, it was how I used just about anything as a bookmark. Some were actual bookmarks, paper or metal. But others were common items like bookstore receipts, five in all and four are from Borders, now out of business. The fifth was Common Good Books, owned by Garrison Keillor. There was also part of a gum pack, a nametag from an alumni event, and a sheet of American flag stickers from the DAV. Then there was a ticket from a comedy club, saying valid through April 27, 2010. Along with a form stating membership renewal with the Academy of American Poets from 2008, and I have since let this one lapse. Finally there is 'One on ones: The art of building public relationships'. So now I feel better about accomplishing something substantial over the long weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment