Saturday, April 26, 2014

Costumed Pirate

      I went to the Twins baseball game against Detroit this afternoon. The Twins won 5-3, despite trailing 2-0 in the first inning. They tied the score in the 5th before they got a hit, but benefited from walks. Their first hit gave them the lead. Notable was seeing somebody in my section walking up the steps, who had a pirate costume on. I kept saying 'Arrrr!' like the sea captain on The Simpsons. I did get a picture from my seat, and he posed with others in the aisle. I was sitting next to somebody who was wearing a hospital mask, who took it off only to eat or drink. After having a hot dog at the Gopher baseball game last night I thought about having something else today. But I didn't feel like walking all over creation to see who had pizza, which may have been more than the hot dog. So I got a hot dog and chips and a soft drink at the concession stand under my section.
   I did have time to get things done before getting on the light rail line to the game. I needed to renew the license plates on my car so I went to the Sears store on Rice Street in St. Paul. It didn't take long and I liked getting some souvenirs while there. They had a business card as well as a keychain, so I got both. The keychain looked like a Minnesota license plate. Then it was on to the antique shop, where I got more postcards. I still haven't run out of ideas, by any means. I pulled out 30 postcards to look at, but knew I had to pare it down some more. So I picked ten of these. Two were from Iowa, the State Capitol in Des Moines and the University Hospital in Iowa City. The former was postally used in 1911. One was from Minnesota, the Government Dam and Locks and Ford Bridge in Minneapolis. Two were from Michigan, tulips in the town known as Holland along with a third one from Mackinac Island. One was from Mount Vernon, George Washington's home. Two were from New York City, the Pan-Am Airlines building with Grand Central station in the background along with the RCA building in Rockefeller Center. One was from Pennsylvania, a restaurant in Gettysburg which mentions a statue of General Eisenhower being nearby. The final one was of the Palace of Arts at the British Empire Exhibition, in Wembley. I know this is a suburb of London, the capital city. Now it means looking up this event online to see what I can find. At the outset I am thinking this may be somewhat like the World's Fairs I have collected postcards of.
     After the game I fell asleep after I got home, while watching the news. I listened to a friend's radio show, then got groceries. As expected, I knew both of the guests. One was the Netflix comic, the other I know for wearing certain hats. Sometimes it is a Minnesota Twins hat, sometimes a Black Flag hat, as in the music group. The first subject covered was kids as young as age 9 married in Iraq. A South Carolina state senator said homosexuality is 'Not natural'- and got a one-woman show about it canceled at a university. There was something about a papyrus, a wife of Jesus. It was called 'Rife for a Monty Python skit'. A question was asked about why women aren't allowed to be priests. Well they of course are in some religious orders, but not the Catholic Church. I heard a toilet flush during the show. Then one thing was said that I agreed with- the best thing to say to some is that you're not going to listen to what I have to say. This is true for some who so strongly believe what they do. The final subject was the Tennessee Senate voting to bring back electrocution as a form of capital punishment.

No comments:

Post a Comment