Tuesday, April 15, 2014

Punk Rock Girl, Dead Milkmen

    The opening round of the contest was happening at the comedy club tonight. After I got back from the show I saw a Facebook posting where I was tagged. Something about how if somebody doesn't like me, then their store needs some fixing. I said thank you I think, but a little lost about fixing stores. Found out it was a song reference, to 'Punk rock girl' by Dead Milkmen. I found it on Youtube right away and liked a reference to a comedian in it, Minnie Pearl. Actually she is mentioned twice, the second time as a baby name, the first as dressing like her. The Mason City native said one reference to a Beach Boys song is correct, as that band also did a version of 'California Dreaming'. Although he did not tag me or send the original message.
    I saw a few comics perform at the contest tonight that I hadn't seen in a while. One of these I recall well from another club, performing while somebody else played 'Small world after all'. He does jokes about his jailbird dad. The other I liked tonight was the Palestine native, he did one about being profiled when flying to meet his lady in Australia after playing a video game. Neither one advanced, just two moved on to the semifinals out of 13 contestants if I'm not mistaken. There are 6 preliminary rounds, I can make it to most of them, all but the one that is the same night as a concert.
   At work somebody did many of the letters before I got around to them, I sent them an email and said thank you. It was also a case of letting them know I can take it from here, still wanting to do some for the day. This was shortly after midday, and just two were waiting so I did them. No others arrived for the rest of the day. So I did take some time to do another project to stay occupied for the day, it was getting an entry ready for a writing contest. It was inspired by the weekend visit to the Minneapolis Art Institute.  

No comments:

Post a Comment