Sunday, April 20, 2014

Marie Schmidt Bremer Home

     I found myself over by the former Schmidt brewery in St. Paul and told myself I hadn't taken a good look at the house across the street. It is the Marie Schmidt Bremer home. There is a plate at the house stating it was given to a foundation in memory of their mother. I did find an entrance to this place and noticed something before going inside, a posting about how smoking is only allowed at the gazebo. Before I spoke with the employee on duty I saw postings next to the office making mention of narcotics and of Dorothy Day. I know this is the name on another facility, closer to downtown. I was informed it is a halfway house, so of course public tours are not available. But I am thankful I found out as much as I did.
   Before I checked out this house I liked getting a good look at the former brewery as there is more activity there now, artist lofts. All I found was a secured entrance, so I stayed outside and got pictures I could get now that I am able to get closer. One was of the welcome sign directing people to the Rathskeller, though it is still behind a fence so of course not open to the public. After I parked my car I saw somebody who was also there for pictures. We spoke for a little while and I gave her my business card after I said I write a blog and do comedy. The mention of comedy led to the story of an elderly woman who hated obese people.
   The day had events early on, starting with an Easter buffet at the Glockenspiel restaurant in St. Paul. I liked seeing deviled eggs as part of the buffet. After I had eaten I was given a flyer about another event there coming soon, 'May Fest'. I am still connecting it to New Ulm since I enjoy going there for Oktoberfest. Then it was on to church services, there was a brass prelude that I liked. An Easter egg hunt was scheduled for after the service, and I noticed the eggs were already placed throughout the sanctuary. What was funny to me was seeing magnifying glasses as well.
   I had another match from online dating ask me how I got started in comedy, and as usual I spoke of the 2 funerals and a wedding in the same year. It led to me finding a song on Youtube, 'Breathe' by Anna Nalick. This song nailed how I felt about doing comedy, and writing. About feeling naked in front of the crowd, because these words are my diary screaming out loud.

No comments:

Post a Comment