Saturday, April 12, 2014

Finding Vivian Maier Movie

   This afternoon I went to see a documentary movie, called 'Finding Vivian Maier' in Edina. It was a good thing that I read the Friday paper before midday when trying to plan out the day and the weekend. She worked as a nanny for well-to-do families in Chicago. The description in the paper started off with saying John Maloof, a history buff, bought cases of undeveloped negatives at an auction house in 2007. I had to get past this term, I think of 'History buff' as being a little derogatory since I majored in the subject. I don't think they covered how these were available at the time, since it was later revealed how Vivian was still alive, but later died in 2009. Some of the photos were of herself. This movie was directed by Maloof, and by Charlie Siskel, film critic Gene Siskel's nephew. I liked seeing vintage photos from well-known Chicago businesses like Jewel grocery stores as well as Marshall Field's department stores. There was also some of talk show host Phil Donahue, as she briefly worked for Phil. Near the end was some from the stockyards. I have seen photos on Flickr of the stockyard gates, preserved after the stockyards closed, so it did look familiar. I like picking up souvenirs from art house movies, such as postcards. There wasn't one of the movie but where one could order prints of her photos at a place in Minneapolis.
   I made it back to an antique shop and bought 10 postcards and 4 buttons. I wanted some more Winter Carnival buttons, I got 3 and the 4th was celebrating the 10th anniversary of the Metrodome. I got a good look at the postcards in a few boxes there. Most notable may be one from the Appalachian Exposition in Knoxville, Tennessee. It was postally used in 1910. I did find an entry about it online, and there was mention of another expo in this town the next year, 1911. Some others included a Longfellow quote how life is real and earnest. One said too busy to write, check items carefully. I found ones of the William Penn home in Philadelphia, and the Pentagon near the nation's capital. There was 2 from Chicago- Chinatown, as well as the Science and Industry Museum. Rounding it out was Grand Hotel on Mackinac Island in Michigan, MSP airport when known as Wold-Chamberlain Field, and San Francisco cable cars. I liked how all of these items were a total of just under $20. But
it helped that some of the postcards were for under a dollar.

No comments:

Post a Comment