Sunday, April 13, 2014

Hairy Who, Chicago Imagists Movie

    It was a busy day for events. I went to two movies at the MSP film festival, St. Anthony Main theater, but at the outset expected it to be just one. Hairy Who and the Chicago Imagists was the second movie I saw, after one volunteer heard me saying to another how I liked the Vivian Maier movie from the previous day since I like Chicago stories. I was informed how it had just started, and he could get me in free. Wasn't about to turn that down! It was about a group of artists that began in the 1960s. As a Lady Gaga fan I liked seeing Jeff Koons in it since he has worked with her. As a former suburbanite of course some references in it were familiar to me, like classes offered at the Art Institute as well as a visit to the Field Museum. Even liked mention of the NFL's Bears in it, since their nickname is 'Monsters of the Midway'. Also mentioned was pop art from New York, happening around the same time, and of course how it was led by Andy Warhol.
   The first movie I saw was 'The Overnighters', about a preacher in the oil boom town of Williston, ND, letting transient workers stay at the church. He was there after the screening ended to answer questions, along with one of his daughters. I liked what he had to say about how there needs to be a distinction on sex offenders, as some of them are really dangerous but some are not. I lucked out on getting into this one since it was declared a sellout by the ticket office and I was directed to the rush line. I got in after it began and sat in the front row, as I was informed on the way in how one of the few remaining seats was there.
   We are not done! The day started off with a visit to the Minneapolis Institute of Arts, to see the Sacred exhibit so I could find inspiration for a writing contest. Three works of art were eligible, one was made of military dog tags. One was a Buddhist statue, where people were meditating. The third looked like a quilt and was mounted to a wall.
   After I got back eventually I looked at my postcards again, wanting to arrange them better. I moved some of the recently purchased ones in the albums they belong as most are grouped by region. It led me to noticing how I had 6 postcards of baseball players. Two have a yellow background since they are of the Hall of Fame plaques. One was from the Mechanical Museum in San Francisco. One was at the World Series, where the player spoke with New York's mayor, LaGuardia. The 6 players are: Joe DiMaggio, Bob Feller, Hank Greenberg, Walter Johnson, Willie Mays, and Babe Ruth. I have found
out based on my E-bay searches for certain player postcards how one of their Hall of Fame plaque (if inducted) is usually available, even if other versions are not. All of these were superstars, so I am sure all of these players are inducted in the Hall.

No comments:

Post a Comment