Friday, April 25, 2014

Little Less Conversation, Elvis Presley

   I went to a college baseball game tonight, the Minnesota Gophers were playing Penn State. During a conference at the mound the organist played 'Little Less Conversation' by Elvis Presley, and I kept laughing as I knew the organist picked a good one! It reminded me of hearing 'We can work it out' by the Beatles at a White Sox game in Chicago in 1990, when the White Sox manager was arguing with the umpire.
    I arrived late for the game but it was hard to find parking and the game started before 7pm. I ended
up parking about 7 blocks away from the venue. I arrived in the second inning but it was still no score. Minnesota went ahead on a solo home run in the bottom of the 2nd. Penn State tied it with some 'Little ball' in the top of the 3rd. Minnesota went ahead 2-1 with a sacrifice fly in the 4th, and went on to win by this same score, 2-1. The announced crowd was sparse, 417. But I am used to seeing this at most college games I've attended, outside of the College World Series in Omaha of course. It was a quick game due to the low scoring, just under 2 hours.
     I liked some of the other songs played between innings. One of them was Pitbull saying 'Swing your partner round and round', I think it is called 'Timber'. Another song spoke of somebody being a piece like Gershwin. At the game Goldy, the Gopher mascot, pointed at my Iowa Hawkeye shirt after i said 'Hi'. My greeting was basically saying 'What do you want?' in terms of voice tone. Though I still laughed. After the game I found a cat walk going over a railroad yard, while I was walking back to my car. I got a picture of it, but didn't walk on it. I was also stopped by a cop, who said I had pulled out in front of him at an intersection near the venue. I was asked if I had anything in my jacket, I said just a camera and presented it as proof. He looked at my license and I was let off with a warning. I said thank you, then the cop car left before I did. 
  I liked getting caught up with the letters at work. In the early afternoon we had cake again, this time for a colleague who is retiring next week. She spoke of having a 'Bucket list' she hopes to complete now. It sounded like one of these things is skydiving. I spoke of what I recalled about my dad's retirement from the Maytag plant. He got to keep the last washing machine part he made, and decided to retire at the end of the calendar year, just 3 months after he became eligible. This colleague said her last day is Wednesday since it is the final day of the month- easier to apply for benefits this way. At midday I got some pictures at a construction site, the Saints baseball stadium. I noticed there were a few places where I could go up a little higher to get a better view inside.  

No comments:

Post a Comment