Wednesday, April 16, 2014

Vera Pavlova

   I am still going through my postcard collection. This includes free ones for advertising purposes. I noticed in one album how there were two from Poetry magazine, on one was a poem from Vera Pavlova called 'To converse with the greats'. On another was something attributed to Martin Luther. So I am moving the card with the Vera Pavlova poem to the office as that is what I do with things I don't want to destroy, especially if they are small collectible items like postcards. If I have two of something, then it still may get used or looked at when I am at the office as I spend enough time there. At the office today it was notable having a Health Ahead event in our game room. There was ice cream sandwiches available and information about how to meditate. In the nearby conference room there was chair massages, for 5 minutes, and I did have one of each.
    One of the things prompting me to look at my postcard collection was 3 E-bay orders arriving. Replacement cards for Ewan McGregor as Obi-Wan in the Star Wars prequels, as well as Babe Ruth, arrived. Both were in bad shape, bent across the middle of the card. The other was of a sports arena in Winnipeg, Manitoba, called the Auditorium. It may have been a hockey venue they used before Winnipeg Arena opened in the 1950s. Winnipeg Arena is likely much better known as it is where the first version of the NHL's Jets played. I can tell the photo is from a while back since the flags in the background aren't Canadian maple leafs, but a mostly red flag with the British Union Jack in one corner.
   It was an eventful evening at the comedy club. The 'Conga line' comic had to deal with a heckler, something about it being their birthday. She did very few jokes, if any, because of it, telling them to take the stage or shut up. I did see her after her set was done and asked if she was all right. She has done comedy for a while so I would like to think she can cope with it fine. The show closer was the Perkins employee, who said he wanted to break the record held by the school bouncer for longest set as show closer. But eventually he was told by the club owner to wrap it up. The sub teacher was the lead-off comic, doing more jokes about his relationship. What do you want for breakfast? was a newer one he has added to this theme. The godmother gave me a shout-out when I laughed at a joke about Christmas lights arranged in the shape of a Chevy logo. This was something she saw while visiting Iowa, my native state. The bathtub comic did a joke about his birthday party being at a roller skating rink. The Kentucky native did jokes about growing up Baptist, and being in a mental hospital. The International Falls native did one about having raccoons as pets. The Hillary Clinton look-alike did one about having a food baby, along with passing out while eating a sandwich. Auto-correct did one about why she doesn't like kids. The neck tattoo comic did one about his dog's name, a pit-bull he calls Huey Booboo.    

No comments:

Post a Comment