Thursday, March 19, 2015

84 Days

    I passed by a closed door at the office today and a homemade sign on it said '84 days'. I knew this was the 'Inner sanctum' of our main I.T. guy. I inquired further with others as to what it meant, and was told he was retiring and he is counting down the days to it. In the afternoon I had two pieces of this month's birthday cake as my birthday was this month. A colleague who sits near the notary table said I should have a second piece since it was my month.
   I watched a syndicated rerun of 'Big Bang Theory' this evening. It was the one where Penny told a bully to give back what he stole from Sheldon. I was quickly reminded how there would be no prime time episode tonight due to the college basketball tournament. I didn't watch it closely, but I know one game was Purdue vs. Cincinnati and the next one was Kentucky, who mauled a 16 seed. I did get caught up on some paperwork, getting the check for my U. of Iowa Alumni Association membership ready. A notable email was from D.C. native, as I gave him my Hotmail address as he announced on Facebook that he was quitting that site.
   My recent visit to suburban Chicago is still on my mind, evident with one of my song selections on Youtube. it was 'Tonight, Tonight' by Smashing Pumpkins. I did sing a little from it when we were about to touch down at O'Hare, as seeing the skyline and Lake Michigan reminded me of the song. One of the lines in it is 'In the city by the lake', and that was the line I sang. Front-man Billy Corgan is a suburbanite so it seems obvious as to what city he is referring to. One of the things that put it in my mindset was going through souvenirs again and deciding to get the postcards into a photo album. They were bought at three different places. Some others were free, and I like getting some in there that are really just advertising like the one from the hotel with Subway sandwich coupons. Or one from this week's parade about ticket plans with the St. Paul Saints baseball team.

No comments:

Post a Comment