Saturday, March 14, 2015

Unity Temple, Oak Park

    I made it back to Oak Park today and had planned on making it to the Hemingway museum. But it was not to be, as I decided to inquire about the Frank Lloyd Wright buildings there. After finding out the Unity Temple would be closed in a few months due to renovation for two years, I decided to tour it. This building is across the street from the post office, and I noticed some similarities to another F.L. Wright building I had seen, the hotel in Mason City, IA. This was true on the inside with the stained glass. I did get some souvenirs at the nearby Wright home and studio, three postcards and knowledge cards. So this is the fifth Wright building I have now seen, and four of them have been in the past three years. I will have to admit that it is hard for me to get to everything on my list when I have just 48 hours. For my next visit I will have to tour the Hemingway museum and the Wright home. Seeing the post office was nice, a stately building. There was two murals inside. There was also a reminder of the 'Haves and have nots' as I saw some homeless people on the steps outside the post office, and one of them greeted me. In the evening I went to the Wolves hockey game in Rosemont, Wolves lost to the Utica Comets 4-0. I got the rally towel giveaway as well as the Breakaway magazine. Two goals were in the first period, at the midway point and near the end. Third goal was about 8 minutes into the second, and the final one was an empty-netter with about 2 minutes left. It was adopt a dog night, and there was a jersey auction, one of them was from national anthem singer Wayne Messmer.
    I got a Lech beer (from Poland) and some cashews at a Jewel-Osco grocery store after the game as I like having a drink while I reflect upon the day. I find this makes it easier for me to write about it, as I am more comfortable and relaxed. Before I started writing in my hotel room, I had some minor trouble getting the bottle open. I know some hotels have openers built in somewhere, I have seen them at Motel 6 locations. I pride myself in being resourceful, so I found a way. I searched for what might grab the bottle cap the same way. I noticed the bathroom door worked, where the bolt goes in. It did fizz and splash a little of course, so I got out a towel and cleaned it up right away. I am watching Saturday Night Live, it is a parody of the Jay-Z story. The best way to review my time back in Chicagoland over the weekend is to go through the souvenirs I have picked up. Two postcards were bought at the grocery store tonight along with the beer and cashews. Before I went to Oak Park today I went to the Des Plaines post office to get stamps so I could send myself a postcard. I didn't want to wait in line so I used a stamp machine, minimum was 3 stamps, flags. There of course is music in the air that I notice, after the game on the radio it was 'I'm yours' by Jason Mraz, a reminder of starting comedy in 2008. At the hotel while checking email it was 'Complicated' by Avril Lavigne. At the hockey game it was 'Heartbeat Song' by Kelly Clarkson, 'Umbrella' by Rihanna, 'Chicken Fried' by Zac Brown band, and 'Funhouse' by Pink.

No comments:

Post a Comment