Monday, March 16, 2015

Brave, Sara Bareilles

   When I was driving home tonight from the comedy club I liked hearing 'Brave' by Sara Bareilles on my car radio. As usual, I found lyrics that were relatable. 'Say what you want to say, let the words fall out, I want to see you be brave'. Others were mention of a cage, and a history of silence. I had heard it before, but hadn't really listened to it all that closely.
    In some respects it seemed appropriate as I spoke of bravery to the Netflix comic after the show. It was in reference to leaving my native Iowa for suburban Chicago, saying I was young enough and courageous enough to try it. She preferred saying 'Brave' instead of courageous. And of course I was thinking about Chicago-land as I had just wrapped up my annual visit. I may have written about it before, how I seem to have to be brave all the time and wish I didn't have to be so brave. But I largely have no choice, and I have known this for a while. If I talked to enough people I might find out there are some who have struggled as much as me, or more so.
      The jokes I did went well, first time performing at this venue aside from speaking at the Bill Young memorial. I did ones about the free ice cream at Dairy Queen, my weekend visit to Chicago-land, the doomsday clock, and some of the birthday wishes on Facebook for my birthday just over a week ago. I did get a photo of the sign at a Dairy Queen location in reference to free ice cream cones, but it looked much busier than typical so I took the photo and left as I wanted to be on time at the comedy club.
     There of course were some others who performed. The nurses aide did ones about being confident about various things, dating rules, an ex on Judge Judy, double life, end tables match TV stand, merlot and steak, water bottle and family, and tinted windows. New Ulm mayor did ones about Obama-care, Prozac, and artistic day care. Tortoise did ones about Ben and Jerry, and couch potato transition. A comic that runs the ticket table did ones about being so Irish that only Bono knows, the Blarney stone, and the 'Danger Zone' song played. Netflix did ones about being afraid of emotional intimacy, cover your 3rd eye, you get options, dogs on back of fire trucks, who brought the Teddy Grahams?, Anne of Green Gables, makes fun sound bad, and jealous of the bear. Blind Side did ones about cleaning the copier, role play as Mike Oher, Instagram, hipsters and Russians, mystery tippers, other women getting murdered, and gazelles at the watering hole.

No comments:

Post a Comment