Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Heartbeat Song, Kelly Clarkson

   When I was driving to the comedy club tonight I liked hearing 'Heartbeat Song' by Kelly Clarkson on my car radio. I had heard it a few times before, but for some reason I really liked it this time. It put me in a better mood, and I know how music can change moods. I have some ideas as to why, and I knew well enough to study and examine these after performing at this show. It helped to listen to it on Youtube, and read the lyrics as well. I guess my reasons for liking it are why some parts of songs are called 'Hooks'- often the chorus. In this case it would be 'This is my heartbeat song, and I'm gonna play it, been so long I forgot how to turn it up all night long'. Other lyrics I point to would be 'You were a different kind of fun, haven't felt for a long time, you make me feel alive and brand new'. In short, it can give us, and me, hope that the right one is still out there! The Wikipedia article made comparisons to another song, 'The middle' by Jimmy Eat World. There are some similarities, but as a whole I don't see the songs being all that much alike. The chorus to 'The middle' is 'It just takes some time, everything will be just fine'. It suggests that it is just around the corner, while Kelly Clarkson's is more of a 'Eureka!' (I found it, in Greek). I do like both songs, don't get me wrong. I even saw Jimmy Eat World in concert, at First Avenue in Minneapolis in 2011.  I will admit it is not too often I write so passionately about music, and I write about this subject often. I do know some of Kelly's other songs, most notably I like 'Mr. know it all' as it is relatable, I know a few too many know-it-alls. So in some way, as I have said before, music serves an important purpose, fills a void, in our lives. When I heard a song (Touch Myself, by the Divinyls) at the Chicago hot dog place tonight (using a birthday coupon, half off a pizza) I said to an employee that just about every human emotion has been captured in song.
  It went well performing tonight, I did plenty of new jokes like one about the upcoming 'Pi Day', inspired by talking to the political science guy at the office. Others were in response to jokes that other comics did, like sub teacher's about the nickname given him by students, and Nebraska's about having trouble unhooking a bra. Too bad those two didn't stay to hear my set.
    Nebraska did ones about a new job, in construction, and can't use porta-potties, like Hank Hill. Others were about jobs for dread locks and gold teeth, and bald guys not criminals. Perkins did ones about handing out show bills and the cops show up. He used terms like little poster, money pouch, and confused the Capitol with the Depot. A comic who spoke of being native did ones about respecting each other during sex, Captain America and Batman, and crippled henchmen. Fish noodle did ones about pet peeves, born in wrong decade, con-man book, plainer next to toilet, and tongues in notebook. Mr. Pibb did ones about steal from Macys, a balloon, lasagna for Garfield, Rihanna songs, no longer a twink, and Uncle Crow. A newer comic, recently moving back from LA, did ones about pot and trusting friends, not HD handsome, where my bullies at?, loan kids lunch money, and the comic needs to see a doctor. Blind Side did ones about co-worker has bad taste, cleaning the copier, gas station bathroom, role play, fan-fiction, adult divorce, and Cheetos stained sweat pants.
    International Falls did ones about a Milwaukee visit, eating placenta and seeing baby pictures on Facebook, no HR person at work day 71, joy ride, Prince as contact, and Mom's a hypochondriac. Ragu did ones about Olive Garden, marriage proposal, Facebook argument about politics, play landlord at party, and a leaf blower. A comic I will call duffel bag did this joke about it and room temperature meat, hearing not ready to date after a date, north side not puncher, and classic rock,  turn into the dad she never had. Others were about dating a man with one spoon, feminist meaning she paid for everything, and vegan bacon. Tortoise did ones about half court hero, Mountain Dew code red and social security number, lady Pac-Man, my room hates itself, who's on first, Domino's pizza ordering, pizza robot, hand job and sighed to itself, and horny George Washington. A former employee at Cheapo Records did one about being adopted, her history is erased. It means she has two birthdays, in July and September. Others were about the suicide hotline, taking a psychology class, learning about depression, and put on hold. Others were about internet time was 10 minutes too long, a feminist sausage fest, and stats and studies. Sub teacher did ones about domestic terrorist and strippers, in shape, enjoying themselves, our stuff falls down on its own, a cucumber holster, the movie Inconvenient Truth and a DVD player, Titanic icebergs, and baby cougars that were calling him Mr. Blueberry.   

No comments:

Post a Comment