Friday, March 13, 2015

John Caparulo

    I am attended the John Caparulo comedy show tonight, in Rosemont, as I am in suburban Chicago for the weekend. He was on a DVD I bought in the past year called 'Vince Vaughn's wild west comedy show'. MC asked who was from out of town and I said I was, but I once lived in the area. So he made a joke about the Jehovah Witness Protection Program. Feature act did a joke about the Harrison Ford plane crash on a gold course. Headliner did ones about how he and his wife are expecting a child soon. Another was about earthquakes in California shaking like bill collectors. He was wearing a Pontiac Fiero shirt. I met him after the show and got a photo.
     I made it to the Hemingway home in Oak Park, it was the first place I went to after getting my rental car at O'Hare airport. When trying to get a photo of his favorite uncle on the upper level of the house during the tour I nearly fell down the stairs as I was unaware of having run out of room when backing up. I needed a moment after this happened. I liked seeing two Emerson Hough books in the bookcase on the lower level, Mississippi Bubble and Heart's Desire. There was also a bust of Lincoln, and two of Beethoven, the latter reminding me of Schroeder the piano player from the Charlie Brown comic strip. I arrived at the Hemingway museum down the street just minutes before closing, and got a photo of the bust of Hemingway there. Then it was up to Des Plaines, where I had a McDonald's shamrock shake, my first of the season. This was at the location across the street from the first Ray Kroc McDonald's. After this it was on to the Gift Depot where I got some postcards, and one of them will be the one I send to myself near the end of my time in town. I was taught this at the Loft in a travel writing class, it is a good way to remember the travels. Before the comedy show I went to eat at the Toby Keith bar and grill in a pedestrian mall, next to the comedy venue. I chose it as it was listed on the Delta Airlines dining for miles program. I had a pulled pork sandwich, the fries there are called freedom fries on the printed menu. Also in this mall was the Big Ten conference home office, and a movie theater. After the comedy show I went to Elk Grove Village and finally checked into my hotel. It was booked through Hotels dot-com. The parking lot was full, but the desk clerk showed me where to park, in a lot at a hotel next door.

No comments:

Post a Comment