Saturday, March 7, 2015

Birthday Coffee At Caribou

    Today is my birthday. I did a wide variety of things, first being a free coffee at Caribou, which was on my loyalty card. I also went bowling, attended a comedy show in Shakopee, and made two visits to the comedy marathon. At the second I bid on some silent auction items. There were some of the typical weekend errand running like printing things at the library and picking up mail at my post office box. Eight of my recent E-bay orders, out of ten, were there. Many of them were first-day cover stamps, including ones honoring comedians. One of them was a Canadian stamp honoring Jim Carrey. Another was a sheet of American stamps from 1991, but I didn't know all of them. I knew four of five though- Abbott and Costello, Laurel and Hardy, Bergen and McCarthy, finally Jack Benny. I didn't know the lady comic included, Fanny Brice. Since I do comedy I like having souvenirs of it, as I have been given so much from this craft. I had the 'How right I was' feeling tonight at the marathon when they did the lip-synching to various songs. Somebody once wanted to call it an 'A-ha' moment, but that isn't it. More like a self-validating moment. There were two other times I recall having this warm feeling, one was after I left Iowa for suburban Chicago. The other was at a comedy show, different venue.
     It was a great lineup of lip sync songs. One set was Dinosaur by Was Not Was, and Ironic by Alanis Morissette. Another was Total Eclipse by Bonnie Tyler, and Oops by Britney Spears. Then there was Shoosh by Bjork, and Love Shack by the B-52's. Black Flag was in drag when he did 'Sandra Dee', from the movie 'Grease'. Then there was Ice Ice Baby by Vanilla Ice, and Wrecking Ball by Miley Cyrus. I like the clever lyrics in the former, 'Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it' as well as 'Anything less than the best is a felony'. This was followed by MMMbop by Hanson, and How You Remind Me by Nickelback. Finally w0 have End Of The World by REM, and two Lady Gaga songs- Bad Romance, and Poker Face. I made a donation to hear Bad Romance. With the first song it is one they wanted to perform, and the other they don't like but will perform if there are donations.

No comments:

Post a Comment