Saturday, December 19, 2015

Napoleon Exhibit

   I went to the Napoleon exhibit at Harriet Island in St. Paul this afternoon. I liked how I saw a discount card at the Landmark Center this week, it saved me three dollars on admission. Essentially this was put towards the souvenirs I bought, as the postcards and stickers were just over this amount. I was under-read about Napoleon in the history classes I had taken, even though it was my college major. I knew about things like the battle of Waterloo, but not much else. I was mostly familiar with how pop culture kept him relevant, like in the 'Bill and Ted' movie. Or my parents playing music when I was young and hearing a song that said 'Everybody meets their Waterloo'. I did learn some things while there, as expected. He was married more than once, something about getting one marriage annulled as he wanted an heir and the wife didn't give him a son. Another was how he apparently got Notre Dame cathedral re-opened as a church. One of his siblings lived in America for a while, in New Jersey. I did get plenty of photos there. It sounded like he did take cues from previous kings and dictators. The exhibit stated that some of the art was actually propaganda. One of the posters advertising the exhibit asked how he had time to do a bust when he conquered 8 nations. I had heard how he influenced the choice of the current flags in some nations, like the tricolor flags in France and Italy.
   I had an ambitious list today, knowing I wanted to get as much done as possible so I could leave most of Sunday open for attending the Bears-Vikings game. I got to everything on my list except doing laundry, which I normally do on Sunday anyway. It means doing it early.
   In the evening I watched the 'Frosty the snowman' DVD I had just bought at Target earlier today. I also got the 'Peanuts movie' soundtrack. Then it was off to the comedy club, as I had a comp ticket for the contest final. It was from long straw. It was hard to know who to vote for, as I knew five of the six contestants. So it was largely a toss-up for me, especially when three of them are in my 'Ring of honor'. Besides Long straw, this also includes Laundry, and Wee bit. Jane Goodall informed me I had a ticket, and who it was from, so I thanked her for letting me know. The Wisconsin girl has been telling me more about my role in a show I am doing Tuesday. I am excited about doing this show, as any stage time outside of open-mics is a big deal.
    Also at the comedy club, software developer did ones about a motorcycle accident, and monsters. Long straw did ones about catholic singles, priest blessing, gay brother, apple crisp, Instagram, sleeper agent, field sobriety test, Rick Flair, homeward bound, asparagus, and childhood insult. Werewolf did ones about what really happens, drug test, public bathroom, fire hose, sleep walkers, dried placenta, healing crystal, and Dr. Phil. Wee bit did ones about just felt right, go in garage and wait, gas station condoms, couch at end of driveway, work construction, powering thru emotions, and high school health teacher. Laundry did ones about sex over consequences, she's a warrior, bumper cars, slap fight, and roundabouts.
   I don't think I knew the headliner, who did ones about breakfast in bed, and the bird thing. Others were about number 3, ex police cars, weekend at Bernie's, chucky cheese, t-shirt cannon, Michelangelo's david, ATM and toilet, smoke detector, Uber driver/valet, the herps, myspace, and court bailiff.

No comments:

Post a Comment