Saturday, December 12, 2015

Sherlock Holmes Exhibit

   This afternoon I went to the science museum in downtown St. Paul to see the Sherlock Holmes exhibit. I knew it would be closing soon, early next month. It was known as the 'Clocktower mystery'. There was a visitor guide to solving the crime, same size as a brochure. There were 8 chapters that had clues, and at the end was a 'Consultation room' where somebody dressed in costume said who did it. I was reminded of a cliffhanger on a soap opera when I was young, 'As the world turns', it was a whodunit and I said 'Barbara Ryan did it'. I liked how there was a bio of the author of the book series, Sir Arthur Conan Doyle, near the front. Before I was ready to leave the museum I did get two items in the gift shop. One was related to the exhibit, 'Quotable notables', a blank note card with quotes that stick. The other was a postcard in the shape of the state, listing different things the state is known for, including the movie 'Grumpy old men'.
   In the evening I did a Facebook posting weighing in on the passing of Bill Young, a year later. I did speak of how I became more serious about chasing down stage time, but I hated how it took losing two comrades to get me there. One of those who responded was a writing colleague from Houston. I ended it with saying the right place for me to be when thinking of a departed friend was the comedy club, same as last year. So I went to see Bathtub perform. Mr. Pibb was feature, and it was a contest night. Three contestants were in my ring of honor- Laundry, Long straw, and Fargo Moorhead. The first two advanced. I knew it would be tough to know who to vote for, as I could vote for just two.
   Also at the comedy club, Laundry did ones about dog whistles, funeral procession, and bakery prison hooker. Long straw did ones about childhood insult, field sobriety test, Rick Flair, and washing a Buick. Fargo Moorhead did ones about feminist blogger, $10 bill, double date, Vietnamese restaurant, and pot while pregnant. Mr. Pibb did this joke, Arnold Palmer, Anne Hathaway, Les Miz, dad kisses, TSA check, death row meal, brunch troll, hooters trivia, and IUD poking. Bathtub did ones about George McFly, last comic standing, Minnesota sports, a bag of pistachios, it wasn't Aquarius, activating rivers, call Montana, summon buffalo, energy healing room, dad's kale chips, white water rafting, visiting Iowa, rescue dog, outfits, swim move, and Instagram. Others were about Bob Barker, Omaha zoo, lock-down, crowd-rap about herbs, pepper plant, zombie apocalypse, cable wire down, fix step, bird nest, met at B and N, Mad Men show, crowd rap- go to dentist, call dibs, petting zoo at wedding, pet rat, and pull myself over.    

No comments:

Post a Comment