Thursday, April 14, 2016

a drill, an evacuation

I was returning from my lunch, a long walk around the downtown area, and before I got stamped in I heard an announcement about a tornado drill. I said I was still going to stamp myself in. then less than an hour later I was on my way to deliver something and my boss said 'you've got to leave' and found out it was not a drill. there was a fire alarm. so I said I am still taking my phone and my camera with me, so it meant picking up my snoopy backpack. as dennis hopper said in the movie 'speed', 'I am crazy not stupid'. I could have done without some people making jokes about it like 'who burned their popcorn?' it wasn't popcorn. it sounded like something caught fire on the roof due to the use of some welding torches. there was mention of an option of going home early and still being paid for the full shift but I stayed. it was in reference to smelling smoke on our floor when we returned. I made the most of the time in the afternoon, getting the settled and paid in full letters caught up.
  during my lunch walk I went over to mears park for an event about the nhl's Minnesota wild starting a playoff series. except I arrived just minutes before it ended so it was in 'tear-down' mode already.i went over to super-America and got a chili dog. then I looked around at the souvenir shop at the saints baseball stadium. I already have quite a bit so I am not sure what I would want to get aside from a ball with CHS field, the venue's name, stamped on it.
   I watched two 'big bang theory' episodes tonight. syndicated rerun was about howard saying he didn't want to work with Bernadette. then it led to Sheldon being annoying to amy when she started a new job near him. prime time episode was a rerun. it was the one about Sheldon and amy deciding to be together on thanksgiving. howard and raj and their ladies went to help at a soup kitchen. after this was done I took a long walk around the neighborhood. I find out it is a good idea to check the car wash for loose change as most of what I found was there. I picked up 38 cents, 8 pennies a quarter and a nickel. but I tossed 2 pennies when I got home as they were really beat up and it was too hard to recognize what was on them. besides the typical trash, I also picked up a flower. it was next to an empty bottle of Windsor Canadian whiskey. close to my 'turn around point', when I start my walk back home, I saw a man in his yard with a cellphone. he must have been trying to find something on the ground, using the phone for light.

No comments:

Post a Comment