Saturday, April 9, 2016

norman lear documentary

tonight I made it to the MSP film-fest and saw the documentary about TV show producer norman lear. I noticed he was the commonality on many of the shows I watched when I was young, like the jeffersons. much of the movie was about the influence of 'all in the family' and I was disappointed how I didn't see anything about 'one day at a time'. in spite of this I still rated it five stars when asked to vote. I did pick up some literature there so I could see if there were other movies I wanted to see as the festival is just getting started. there are some, one of them is actually a silent film from 1928 about joan of arc and not at st. Anthony main in Minneapolis- where most of them are being shown. I had picked up a card about the joan of arc movie at an event last summer, from the 'oratorio society'. I knew well enough to act quickly when I was reading about the norman lear movie as I got home from work and was going through emails on Hotmail. it looked like there was just one showing during the festival, and starting in under an hour. so I was off in my car instead of watching a rerun of 'big bang theory' after the 6pm news was done. and I may have ended up seeing a lear-produced show on antenna TV. at times like these I am thankful to be an avid reader. in my facebook posting about the movie I said it answered one question I had wondered about for a little while, as a green day song has a lyric about 'down with the moral majority'. mr. lear takes on the 'moral majority', which was led by TV evangelists, when he founded the activist group known as 'people for the American way'. I ordered an advance ticket online and ate at bobby and steve's, and arrived just before the movie started. I finally decided to get out my loyalty card and use some of my points, and got a f'real milkshake and a little godfather's pizza. I saw somebody in the bathroom after the movie wearing a button saying 'end the embargo in cuba'. I saw a different person with a patriotic backpack outside the theater getting a picture of the sign when I was snapping a picture of the same image.
   at work it was a busy day as I wanted to get the settled and paid in full letters caught up and I did. we had a lunchtime event in reference to opening day in baseball, and I had two hot dogs. there was also Wii baseball but I wasn't that good at it. I did win a drawing for a door prize, it was  a Minnesota twins hat. not sure how many Twins games I will attend this season, though I have already ordered one ticket for a game against the Yankees in june as it is an alumni outing.   

No comments:

Post a Comment