Saturday, April 16, 2016

passion of joan of arc

double booked tonight after work. first I went to the st. paul cathedral and saw a silent movie from 1928 about joan of arc. I first heard about it through a brochure at the bastille day event from the French alliance last july. I found out the MSP film-fest was another sponsor. it was the proverbial 'two birds with one stone' as it was the first time at this cathedral and I hadn't seen many silent movies before. I do have 'the covered wagon' from 1923 on DVD, as it is based on an emerson hough novel. the movie did keep me interested. I think I had seen some other movies about joan of arc before, as I recalled a made-for-tv movie from the 1990s that said 'her heart never burned' at the end of it. this one was subtitled, and I took French in high school. so once I started reading  more than just the English subtitles, I knew it was like many others I had been to. it was loosely translated and not literally translated, more like how people talk than how they write. I said this about seeing 'toujours' more than once, which can mean 'always' besides meaning 'still'. also seeing 'votre' as part of what is known as 'lords prayer' as 'votre' means 'your'. the nice thing about getting the ticket at the venue was not having to pay the online fees. I was afraid that ordering online meant having to print from my Hotmail account, and I had no time to do this today. at some point it would be nice to do a tour of the cathedral. I had passed on it before as I think most of them are during the week when I am at the office. well I did the governor's mansion tour, and took a day off for it. and I kind of have vacation time to burn so it is really no big deal if I use a day for a tour again. before the movie started I thought of how the joan of arc story probably was parodied on 'the simpsons'. I recall a scene where the soldiers are counting in French, and at the trial lisa (playing joan) witnessed hypocrisy.
   the other event was the burlesque show. I found out I didn't miss much as I arrived when the Melissa joan hart look-alike was onstage. and I noticed she was the leadoff in the second act. I liked the merger of ideas as usual on what they made fun of, like one performer looking like velma from 'Scooby doo' and dancing to 'what a feeling' from 'flashdance'. final musical number was 'let's get physical', the Olivia newton john song. I also liked hearing the lounge singer version of 'come out and play' (or 'keep them separated') by offspring. one dancer pulled a hammer from her cleavage while dancing to 'bust your kneecaps'. other songs intrigued me and I wrote down lyrics I hopes of finding them online later on. as usual I didn't think the magician or MC's were that funny, but there was no cover charge for this show so can't complain about the price.

No comments:

Post a Comment